Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your pet got lost, ran away, was stolen, etc., would you pay for a service to help find him/her? Would you consider offering a reward?

I'm curious how other people feel about this because I'm considering using Find Toto to help find my rabbit, but I'm hesitant about paying money for their service.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would do whatever I had to do to get them back. My dog was stolem from our yard when I was a kid. My dad offered a reward in the local paper. The very next day someone called to say they had "found" our dog. We had witnesses that she was stolen but we paid anyway. We were advised to not list an amount for the reward. I think we ended up giving them about $10.
I have never left a dog outside unattended since. Even if they are in the yard I am out there with them.

I have never heard of Find Toto. I would check them out first. I would want to know more about them. How much do they charge? What is their success rate? What will they do that you can't do yourself? Losing a pet is a very emotional thing. Don't let anyone take advantage of you to get money.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would use every resource I have to get back my dog. I would be checking the paper,shelter,neighbors,etc. It is heart wrenching when a pet turns up missing.I would use a cash reward as a last resort.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick overview of Find Toto, from what I can see:
Success rate is around 77%
Range of prices from $125 to $875.
You give them the information about you pet, and they call every person with a land line within a certain radius of wherever you last saw your pet. Thus the range in price. Larger area, more people, costs more.
They have a good review with the Better Business Bureau, and an exemption with the Do Not Call registry, so they're definitely legitimate.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i would do what was needed to get the dog back...however, i would not specify an amount on the reward (i was informed this once b/4 cuz, if the dog were stolen, they will generally hold out for more if they think they can get it higher).......but, being as mine are microchipped and i have the membership to have it all on line, HomeAgain does the same thing (basically) by emailing everyone on their list in the area about the dog missing and reports it to all the shelters, vets and police in that 50mi radius of where the dog was lost from.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think I would pay a company to find either of my guys, but only because I would be doing everything else possible to find my guys. I doubt that anybody else could or would do more than I would myself. If all else failed than yes I would.

We have dog thiefs in my town and every year lots go missing, I know in my heart that if Quincy was ever stolen, I would have a hard time finding him and getting him back, he is a rare breed for my area and people think because he is hairless he is exotic, that said my guys are/will never be outside unattened alone, they are my children. I also know that Quincy would NEVER go with anyone willingly, he will not let anyone but me take him anywhere off the property and thieves would have a huge fight on their hands, he would bite and howl (he howls something fierce)

As for a reward YES for sure I would, I wouldn't say how much but whomever brings them back would get something.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd offer a reward, absolutely. My friend's dog went missing, and they were offering a $250 reward. The dog was found 3 days later.

My other friend just lost her dog the other day, and was offering a $500 reward. A lady found the found, and had already taken it to the vet and everything by the time she found the owner (my friend). My friend gave her not only the reward money, but reimbursed her for the vet bills as well, since the dog had been hurt.

There's a lady I know, in fact she made Yahoo! news awhile back, who's been missing her golden retriever mix since Dec. The dog is on big billboards across the city, and even on television spots. She's offering a $5,000 reward at the moment for her return.

My guys are my world, so if they ever went missing, I'd definitely offer a reward.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would also do everything I could to get my dog back. I am active in rescue so I would send out my mass e-mails and they would be sent on to an extended network. I pray that I never lose a dog, I am not sure my heart could take it. I feel so sad for anyone that loses a dog. Especially those who's dogs have been stolen as they have less chance of coming back and people who steal dogs do not usually have good intent. I can't imagine. :(

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I don't know if I'd pay a service to help me find them. I might depending on how long the dog had been gone for, and some other scenarios too, but I don't think they'd be the first people I'd call.
When Holly went missing we put up posters that offered a reward. When handed them out, and this family said they were trying to coax a little dog out of their bushes that looks a lot like Holly )funny thing is that it wasn't actually a picture of Holly... bf's mom made the posters for me, she found a dog that was almost identical to Holly). They let us go back there, tear up their bushes, and get her. Although the people didn't really find her, we did give me a giftcard to Petsmart (they had a cat, and so I figured they could use it to buy litter and food).
The dogs' tags all say REWARD on them, so if someone found them I'd give them a reward. Usually if they had dogs or cats a giftcard to Petsmart, or if they didn't a giftcard to a nice restaurant. It makes me uncomfortable to give people cash.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would sell one of my human children to get my dog back lol I am so just kidding but I would do anything and everything in my power to get one of my girls back. They are my babies and like my children nothing would be to hard that I wouldnt do to get them back. If one of them was gone I would not beable to sleep eat or do anything but think about where they were what they were doing if they were being cared for.... But I know Lucy would never let anyone take her lol but my poor Roxy girl might go although she is getting better now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i would do what was needed to get the dog back...however, i would not specify an amount on the reward (i was informed this once b/4 cuz, if the dog were stolen, they will generally hold out for more if they think they can get it higher).......but, being as mine are microchipped and i have the membership to have it all on line, HomeAgain does the same thing (basically) by emailing everyone on their list in the area about the dog missing and reports it to all the shelters, vets and police in that 50mi radius of where the dog was lost from.....
I paid extra for the HomeAgain service, too. I very much hope to never have to think about using it, but I'm glad to have it in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts