Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a breeder. She breeds amazing dogs but has a very domineering and vindictive personality. Not to mention irrational and paranoid. Borderline schizophrenic almost. I originally was considering getting a dog from this person. However, after watching their behavior I am no longer sure I want to expose myself to that type of personality by purchasing a dog from them. Now they breed great dogs don't get me wrong...but is that enough?

·
Registered
462 Posts
There are enough good dogs waiting for good homes to have to deal with crazy. I have more than enough crazy in my life already. I would pass.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You know, every truly great breeder I've met has an element of those personality traits. Especially if they breed good dogs.

This one breeder used to be my mentor on movement, is a wonderful breeder, and is completely weird-o. I'd get a dog from this person in a heart beat and have no qualms.

Then again, I'm good at handling people and have an unfortunately high tolerance for emotional bull crap.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I guess it depends on the degree of crazy, but if it's border line Schizo, probably not. I expect my breeder to be there for me for the life of the pup and possibly beyond. I really don't need someone in my life that's going to cause trouble.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Everybody has a little bit of crazy in them but I would not buy a puppy from a "vindictive and domineering" person. Like cshellenberger, I expect my breeder not only to be there for me for the life of the pup but I expect them to want to know how the pup is doing from time to time, etc, and I can imagine that going very badly with a vindictive and domineering person. Don't get me wrong, I am a GREAT dog owner (if I do say so myself), but with that type of personality if I were to say or do one thing wrong in that breeder's eyes they could be giving me hell and possibly trying to get the puppy back. I've heard stories and I'm not putting myself or a puppy through that.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Everybody has a little bit of crazy in them but I would not buy a puppy from a "vindictive and domineering" person. Like cshellenberger, I expect my breeder not only to be there for me for the life of the pup but I expect them to want to know how the pup is doing from time to time, etc, and I can imagine that going very badly with a vindictive and domineering person. Don't get me wrong, I am a GREAT dog owner (if I do say so myself), but with that type of personality if I were to say or do one thing wrong in that breeder's eyes they could be giving me hell and possibly trying to get the puppy back. I've heard stories and I'm not putting myself or a puppy through that.
THIS. Exactly.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am with the rest of them. I had wanted to show Afghans and run them many years back. There was a breeder, very well known, liked, had many titled dogs,... highly recommended ... in my vicinity at that time. I purchased a blue pup ... despite health testing on the parents ... turned out to have health issues. I was paying high dollar ... she took the pup back ... was not show quality. I was offered a new pup ... only a 9 month prospect ... again ... temperament issues ... I just gave up ... I was young and really didn't fully understand what it was really all about.

All of this really left a bad taste in my mouth. If I were to ever go through a breeder again ... I would be 100% sure about all the issues and choosy! .... and I would definitely want to see everything on paper! I learned my lesson the hard way. :(

EDIT: I am sorry ... got carried away there ... forgot to say ... this person was pretty much off the wall too! :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
To me it would depend on how great the dog is. If it is the best you can find, has full release from the breeder, already grown and healthy, including hips, elbows,etc, I would. If a puppy, I would pass, as you could end up with health issues she may not stand behind. Check with previous buyers, that have dogs over three from her.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You know, every truly great breeder I've met has an element of those personality traits. Especially if they breed good dogs.
Not that I know a lot, but of the handful of breeders I've met, none have been "sane". Maybe eccentric is a good word to describle them. Except for the poodle breeder my aunt got her dogs from...she was hands-down crazy but her dogs are (were...she has since passed on) amazing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah, okay.
I'm Schizophrenic. Some of us are pretty "nuts", but some of us are still respectable and not completely off the wall ;)

That being said, if the breeder can't manage her symptoms to some extent (and it sounds like she can't), I wouldn't get a pup from her.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Ah, okay.
I'm Schizophrenic. Some of us are pretty "nuts", but some of us are still respectable and not completely off the wall ;)

That being said, if the breeder can't manage her symptoms to some extent (and it sounds like she can't), I wouldn't get a pup from her.
Lol! :) All of us ( being one ) " Artists " are a little eccentric ( if we had the funds that is ) .... I consider ... personally ... IMHO ... that a reputable dog breeder is an artist in their own rights. :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ah, okay.

Schizophrenia has many different faces & levels...my other Aunt was severe...unfortunately it ended up taking her life 40 years ago. But modern drugs do wonders I hear. Just gotta actually take them....LOL!

And if the breeder cannot be relied upon to make critical choices in her breeding and interactions with her customers, I'd say look elsewhere. The poodle breeder was VERY difficult to deal with and caused my Aunt and Grandma nothing but stress. The dogs were well bred (up until the lady got sick), but she was ...well...not well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Depends on if I could agree to the basic contract and how insane they were.

I had my one dog used at stud for a woman, nice enough, but at the time didn't want a puppy, figured I'd get one down the line. Anyway before the breeding even took place, I was at a show and there was a couple from the states who had come up, and they were camped next to us for the whole weekend. They loved my guy and asked where he came from etc. and when they heard he was going to have kids, wanted to have one. I didn't see anything wrong with how they treated their dogs over the weekend, so got the info and sent it to the breeder. Who proceeded to go into this 'what if they're a broker' routine and never contacted them! She sold the pups to all her friends pretty much. When I contacted her a few years ago about a puppy, her contract was four combo vaccines to be given three weeks apart, or something really extreme. I asked if there was any way around it, she said no. I think she even required that you send a copy of the vet records each time, plus a form to be filled out, plus.....

Needless to say didn't bother, it was too insane as far as what she required and expected. As another person put it, I bought the dog, I'll do what I like with it!

I see it from the breeder's angle too, I know some want raw and so on but I think if you get too picky and snarky, then the owners avoid you and then you're really out of the loop...

Lana

·
Registered
61 Posts
Schizophrenia has many different faces & levels...my other Aunt was severe...unfortunately it ended up taking her life 40 years ago. But modern drugs do wonders I hear. Just gotta actually take them....LOL!
I'm sorry to hear that. :( I actually am able to avoid taking medications by having my service dog, but from what I hear they manage symptoms pretty well.

Sorry, done hijacking!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I'm a little nuts myself, in a good way, I like the people I surround myself with to be a little off the wall too. A LITTLE, if the breeder is acting in such a manner that you have to ask, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I don't mind personality faults or quirkiness in a breeder, because when I buy a dog, I want to buy the dog - no strings attached. Once I've handed over the money, the dog is mine without the breeder to dictate how I should feed, condition, and train and however crazy the breeder is, as long as I don't have to deal with him/her, I would be happy to purchase a dog from this person. Given, of course, that I can trust this breeder's knowledge and honesty to evaluate a dog or puppy and match me with one according to my preferences.

Of course a sane, supportive breeder is a perk and I will certainly always try to pursue a positive working relationship with my dog's breeder. I won't necessarily always agree with him/her, but I'd like someone to turn to for advice, someone who raised the puppy for the first 7-8 weeks and personally worked the dam, a person who really knew the lines and the dogs. The breeder I got my dog from is fantastic - we're not best friends but he does always take the time to respond to my e-mails and inquiries and has been very supportive and complimentary despite my age and inexperience with dogs and protection sports. I was able to visit his Schutzhund club recently and meet several half siblings to my dog, and his wife was there to point out the intricacies of the sport to me when I had questions.

I enjoy that in a breeder that also sold me an amazing dog... but all I really need is the amazing dog. I dislike a restricting contract and I want a breeder who knows his/her boundaries.

Which is also why I'm going to answer no, I would not purchase from a mentally unstable, paranoid, vindictive horror of a breeder because that type of breeder does NOT know the boundaries. There is supportive, and then there is manipulative and demanding. I don't mind having a breeder out of my life,, but one that will forcefully pry into my life and intrude on everything? No way in hell. I buy the dog for the dog, not for a breeder to be attached at the hip, wanting to pull the strings on me and my dog's life.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I see both sides of this. When I sell a pup, I recommend things. As long as the dog is on a good food, I would not dictate what brand one must feed. As far as vaccinations, if the buyer went with his vet recommendations within reason, had a health check and something was wrong I would refund the pup. Yet if a buyer did not vaccinate, or what have you, and that pup became sick, I would not refund. It does go both ways. A breeder that completely tries to control every aspect I would stay far away from.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Oh, definitely. I think it's expected that many breeders are concerned with how their puppies are cared for and if they are fed a good diet and properly exercised, etc. I fully appreciate recommendations and welcome them. But don't call me or my vet up every two months to ask "YOU'RE FEEDING EUKANUBA RIGHT? RIGHT? RIGHT? If you aren't, I'm claiming my puppy back and sending out your name to the dog world so NO ONE sells to you EVER again!" And don't tell me that if I bought the dog as a pet, I need to neuter/spay my dog and that I need to do it NOW.

That's what I mean by mental.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts