Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My anniversary is coming up and its 21yrs last year I didn't ask for anything. My want is always been to have a little poodle that would be under 5lbs grown or maybe 5lbs. I have heard lots of people talking about feeding raw to large pups and even feeding raw to some dogs that are smaller like 7-8lbs. Would you and how would you feed raw to a puppy that would be say 12wks old(because I won't be a toy breed younger) and that would mature to say only 5lbs. I get how you could give them ground food but how would one that small do with bones? How would you get them the bone part of a meal?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You can get a grinder and grind chicken wings. A puppy that size should do ok with chicken necks. I use a supplement called KA Calcium from Nature's Farmacy to balance boneless meat that I feed. http://www.naturesfarmacy.com

Otherwise, it is just like feeding raw to any other dog, just in much smaller quantities. :D

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Look for Cornish Game Hens and quail. Those are spendy but a teeny dog doesn't eat much. Once on all meats try out any bone, most of it will just be for recreation but that is okay, teeny dogs can have very yucky teeth and the extra chewing might help them be cleaner. Small whole fish should work well too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would LOVE to have a TINY pup and have him on raw!!:D

I think I might convince husband that I need a TINY puppy(or at least a small)dog again...just to be my cuddle buddy when we are driving!LOL

And yes he will be on raw...and like Kathyy said...you can get Cornish game hens, quail, rabbit, and smaller animal like that for bones and ANY cut of the larger proteins for normal food. (And Ive heard, in GENERAL, that small breeds actually eat 4-6% rather then 2-3%!:wink:)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could see it because the way they metabolis food so quickly. I was hoping someone with experience first hand mind pop in

·
Registered
395 Posts
I could see it because the way they metabolis food so quickly. I was hoping someone with experience first hand mind pop in
Well my mum currently is feeding a 5lbs puppy, Jazzmyn her French Bulldog...but she will end up being a 20lbs-er(which I also have one of as she also has another the same size!:))
And she can, and WILL, eat ANYTHING....as my Mum puts it...she is a PIG in a Frog-dog body!!LOL

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frenchies are soooo cute. As of right now this is still just a "dream" but I wanted to do some feeding research just in case. I have been dropping hints though my husband wouldn't surprise me with a pup because he knows how picky I am about certain things.Such as age I would take a pup,condition the pup lives in and the breeders rep. I also wouldn't buy a pup without a complete health check done before we got the pup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
5 lbs isn't much smaller than a Toy Poodle is supposed to be (6 thru 9 lbs according to dogbreedinfo.com), but I don't think a reputable breeder would breed for small size on purpose. Of course, I imagine there are going to be some both under and over sized as in other breeds. Wouldn't it a little hard to determine how big it's going to grow, though? Unless maybe you get him from a breeder who knows how to use growth charts and can give an estimate on his adult size.

Anywho, raw for a dog that small could be done. I'd imagine chicken wings would be okay! Usually it's best to avoid those with bigger dogs, even my Papillon mix.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes even the best breeders can have a pup that is born that isn't exactly what they are wanting and those are usually placed in a pet home with a spay/neuter contract. I am looking for just that a pup that wasn't show quality due to size. It isn't something I will find on Craigslist and it isn't something that I would probably find in a day or 2

·
Registered
240 Posts
Okiedoke. Good luck then =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts