Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://fox2now.com/2012/04/23/couple-in-trouble-for-calling-911-over-dog/

I just saw this on our local news. I'm not really sure what I would do in that situation. I certainly agree that your pets become like your family...I'm sure this couple was as panic-stricken as I would be. And I sort of agree that if she said "daughter" instead of dog at the beginning of the call then it could have been misleading, but who knows? Maybe she really didn't intend to say it. Either way I feel really bad for this family.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
It's completely inappropriate to call 911 for a dog - that's not what it's for, and they should face a fine. It's sad, but I sure hope someone didn't go without an ambulance because this family didn't think ahead about what they would do in an emergency with their pets.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
It does peak my interest as I always wondered what people would HUGE dogs will do if they face an emergency or death. We had a friend with a 200 lbs Great Dane who was 8 when he adopted him. I was always morbidly curious on what they planned on doing had he passed in the house. He ended up being PTS and I never thought it appropriate to ask anyway. Shammy is 84 lbs and though I am barely 100 I can lift him on my own.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I do not think I would call 911 ... but you just never know until you are in that situation ... I feel terrible for those people on the loss of their family pet member. It is hard enough to grieve let alone other things compounding the injury. Who is to say?

I am assuming ( and we all know what that means ) the argument will be that calling 911 for an animal could endanger the life of a human who needed the rescue service at or near the same time frame? ... and they brought this on themselves ....

It is too bad for the poor dog too. :(

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
our pollce and court systems should be out there looking for real criminals !!!
I don't understand your comment. There were no resources being used to fine this family for calling 911. Not to mention "Courts" don't look for criminals, they give them trials.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something I hadn't thought of was that with a lot of insurance companies (and even if you don't have insurance) you just have to pay for the ambulance/EMS services. Which would seem fair to me. Even if it had been one of their "human" daughters, they'd probably have to pay anyway. Seeing as the dog was 140 lbs. it makes me more sympathetic toward the family. They didn't call 911 just to get the dog out of the house but to hopefully save her life.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Being in a small town, I might call the cops if I had to. Not 911, but the non-emergency number. If they couldn't/wouldn't help, I'm sure they'd tell me so. But if they were bored and didn't have anything else to do, they might come help.

If I needed help getting Moose out of the house, I would call my vet. He's a big guy and would do it. When Boomer had a stroke, my grandma called her vet and he sent a vet tech to get him into the car for her. I'm not sure if they would do that for someone who's not elderly, though.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I remember seeing this when it first came out. I misunderstood the story. I thought the woman was home alone with the Great Dane and couldn't lift him and that's why she called 911. I gotta say that any time I had an emergency with one of my animals, I never thought of calling 911. I can understand the owner's panic but they should have made the situation clear to the dispatcher. But also, again while not thinking I would have called 911, seems like years ago (something like 16 or so years ago) when watching the tv program "911" or "Rescue 911", seems like I remember them sharing stories of a number of people calling 911 over their dog - which they responded to. I don't know if they have neighbors but I personally would have been running to doors till someone came to help me lift my dog, not call 911. Was it ever mentioned what happened to their dog, why it collapsed?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've got to admit, if it was something like a vehicle accident and Caeda was hit I admit the thought would at very least pass through my head, though I probably wouldn't do it. If on the other hand it was a vehicle accident, and it was my vehicle and I had even a bruise I'd have a hard time not calling 911. Not sure what I would really do in the circumstance though....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It does peak my interest as I always wondered what people would HUGE dogs will do if they face an emergency or death. We had a friend with a 200 lbs Great Dane who was 8 when he adopted him. I was always morbidly curious on what they planned on doing had he passed in the house. He ended up being PTS and I never thought it appropriate to ask anyway. Shammy is 84 lbs and though I am barely 100 I can lift him on my own.
That is kind of funny, because I ADORE saint Bernards. I'd love to have one, but I would worry about what to do if the dog were ever sick, or when they get old and have a hard time getting up...They get very large and heavy, and I wouldn't be able to carry them to the car/into the vet's. So I won't own one. I figure I need to be able to pick them up if I have to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No i would not call 911 for my pets. My husband is a paramedic and while I know that he is fully competent to treat humans there is not much he could do for a pet. The time wasted with 911 would be better spent getting Fido to a emergency vet clinic. People who are trained to treat pet emergencies. I feel bad that the couple in in trouble but at the same time they pulled resources off the street that could be treating humans.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
No i would not call 911 for my pets. My husband is a paramedic and while I know that he is fully competent to treat humans there is not much he could do for a pet. The time wasted with 911 would be better spent getting Fido to a emergency vet clinic. People who are trained to treat pet emergencies. I feel bad that the couple in in trouble but at the same time they pulled resources off the street that could be treating humans.
Exactly! Thank you. this is essentially the point I've been trying to make and not articulating well.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
That is kind of funny, because I ADORE saint Bernards. I'd love to have one, but I would worry about what to do if the dog were ever sick, or when they get old and have a hard time getting up...They get very large and heavy, and I wouldn't be able to carry them to the car/into the vet's. So I won't own one. I figure I need to be able to pick them up if I have to.
Same boat. I love Wolfhounds, but what if I had one and something happened while I was home alone? No way I could lift a giant breed. I can hoist up a 100 lbs dog, but that is stretching my scrawny limit. We had a 150 lbs Dane at work and I tried to pick her up one day.. got her feet barely off the ground. No way I'd be able to carry her any where in case of an emergency.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts