Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking for an ideal family dog for quite some time, and found a dog who on paper, is perfect for us. That's saying a lot, as we have two young kids (4.5 and 2) and my partner is firm on wanting a dog that doesn't shed much. His owner has been really honest with me, saying that in January he had one seizure, which the vet believed was caused by a side effect of a flea/heart worm medication that lab mixes are prone to.

She messaged me this morning saying he had three cluster seizures when he woke up today. I'm not worried about a minimal medication cost to manage this, but I don't know what other health impacts can come along with seizures, and could they lead to behavioral changes that could endanger my kids?

We won't be looking at adopting him until the COVID-19 situation has calmed (we're sheltering in place here in CA), so I have time to think about this.

Thank you!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd keep looking. You have time.

There are many breeds that are "hypo-allergenic" or don't shed much. Some are near the size of a lab, ie Airedale, Std Poodle, Std Schnauzer, Kerry Blue Terrier.......many others.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would also say keep looking. There can be so many reasons for seizures some are managable and some are long term expensive to treat and yes they can cause temporary or lasting effects on temprement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts