Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got my mom a new puppy. He is a male papillon named Oliver and is currently 8 months old. When we brought him home from the pet shop we fed him what he was getting there which was Holistic Health Extentions dry mixed with Merrick wet. However the dry food was not readily available close to my mom's home so we gradually switched him to Merrick dry as well. He seemed to like the new dry but for some reason it didn't agree with him. After three weeks on the food his stool never firmed up, his poop was mushy and he was pooping 5-6 times a day.
This past week we changed him over to Wellness Super5 Mix small bite for puppies. His stool firmed up right away. He has only been pooping like 2-3 times a day and it is much smaller amount. The new food seems to agree with him and he likes it.
I have been reading alot about feeding grain free. In a few months when Oliver turns one we will be changing him to an adult food. I am debating if he should remain on the Wellness Super5 Mix for adult dogs or if we should try the Wellness Core. I am afraid of the fact that the Core has more protein and not sure if that is too much for a small dog like a papillon. He weights about 8 pounds. Would love to hear your thought on this. Also is the kibble size of the Core something a small dog like this could easily chew?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The only time I failed at feeding kibble it was high protein EVO back when it first came out. Max had many tiny mushy poops per day and I gave up after feeding through 2 large bags of it. I was overfeeding is all. You need to feed very little of the food to maintain condition and it doesn't look like enough to our eyes. Most dogs need much less than the bag suggests anyway, on a high meat content food you might need half the suggested feed. I put Artie on EVO weighing the food out and he did fine although I was still tempted to overfeed it.

Max gets raw now and eats about the same number of protein grams as he should have had on EVO and is stronger as a senior than he was on 22% protein kibble. Protein builds muscle and muscle is good stuff to have!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
For the most part, dogs are dogs, whether papillons or cane corso. That's not to say that different breeds don't have different health concerns, but he should be fine on Wellness Core. I second watching the serving size, though. The Wellness bag says to feed my dog 2C per day, he actually needs a little over 1C. That doesn't look like nearly enough food, but he's healthy and his weight is stable and his poop is fine, so 1C it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My two dogs are eating orijen which is 80% meat and about 42% protein. As long as your dog's system tolerates the high protein volume and doesn't give you diarrhea you will be fine. The high protein myth really was started off of a study conducted using rats! I'm sure those rats did have kidney damage but these are not rats. My 6lb pekingese did fabulously on a 95% meat raw diet as well. Her yearly blood panels are fabulous and do not indicate kidney stress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts