Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my mum decided today that she wasn't getting me a German Shepherd even though she said. Sigh.

But she is considering an Australian Sheepdog.

We currently have 2 dogs that are crosses and small-medium.

I live in front of some woods, I live across from another set of woods and I live near a golf course. I also live within 20 minute walking distance of a park. So there is plenty space to walk.

I'm wanting a dog that would be suitable for obedience and agility training.

If you need any other info I'll answer it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Lots of dogs can be suitable for obedience/ agility. What are you looking for as far as size, coat, temperament, activity level, ect?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size wise medium dog. As long as it's not overly large it's fine. I would prefer medium as I would be able to feed it better than a small dog. I currently have a small dog and whenever I go to reward her I have to sort of bend down which can look sloppy when doing obedience.
Tempermant, loyal, obedient,smart etc.
Activity level- Medium to high
Coatwise; I'm not so bothered much as long as it's not overly long and doesn't need constant grooming.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
What about a rescue? You could pick one that fits ALL of your requirements and a lot of the vet bills will have already been taken care of, and you'll be able to start right away on obedience and agility.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In terms of rescue the nearest rescue center is in England and I wouldn't like to take a dog on a 6 hour car drive as it wouldn't really be fair especially if it didn't know us.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Size wise medium dog. As long as it's not overly large it's fine. I would prefer medium as I would be able to feed it better than a small dog. I currently have a small dog and whenever I go to reward her I have to sort of bend down which can look sloppy when doing obedience.
Tempermant, loyal, obedient,smart etc.
Activity level- Medium to high
Coatwise; I'm not so bothered much as long as it's not overly long and doesn't need constant grooming.
Also- "high" activity level can be defined a lot of ways. Some dogs need to RUN and are high energy. Other dogs need more "mental" activity and a simple run will do nothing for them. Some are very "trainable", and others are smart but much harder to train (partly because they're so smart).

In terms of rescue the nearest rescue center is in England and I wouldn't like to take a dog on a 6 hour car drive as it wouldn't really be fair especially if it didn't know us.
Are you therefore limiting yourself to only breeders within an hour or two of your house? That's going to be hard to do.

Aussies are one of the high physical AND mental energy dogs. They need a job, and they need a good amount of exercise, daily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also- "high" activity level can be defined a lot of ways. Some dogs need to RUN and are high energy. Other dogs need more "mental" activity and a simple run will do nothing for them. Some are very "trainable", and others are smart but much harder to train (partly because they're so smart).

Are you therefore limiting yourself to only breeders within an hour or two of your house? That's going to be hard to do.
I would go up to 4 hours any longer and it would be an overnight stay which would be very expensive just for visiting the dog etc.

I mean a dog that is smart but trainable, a dog that uses a lot of energy up in long runs and doing agility and obedience etc.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
A puppy cannot go running (at a human defined pace and length) until 18-24 months, or you could severely damage their joints.A young adult dog may fit your situation better than a puppy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wasn't meaning to take it out straight away, I would slowly build up to it. We have a small patch of grass in front of our house that we could take it to which isn't a long distance but long for a puppy.
When we got Ellie she could manage small walks on the grass for toilet training. I would prefer a puppy though I understand I may have to get a young adult dog but I feel with a puppy it would be more responsive to the pets in my home, to the enviroment and when I introduce it to training it would have a good relationship with me that I could train it my own way rather than possibly having to re-train it.

-

Ellie was a young puppy when she was hit by a car causing her left legs to be broken. She can manage some agility though she would only manage going round once before she would start limping. As for obedience she is very nervous of dogs around her and will also try and dominate over puppies or anything smaller than her and some local events won't accept her because of the fact she had an injury so we could never really put her forward for even obedience which seems silly in my opinion :/

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
A puppy cannot go running (at a human defined pace and length) until 18-24 months, or you could severely damage their joints.A young adult dog may fit your situation better than a puppy.
No where has the OP stated that they want to go running with a puppy, only that they want a breed capable of going for long runs. Also, while rescue is certainly always a valid option, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OP wanting to get a pup from a reputable breeder. Why don't we try to actually answer the op's question, instead of pushing an option the op has already said won't work for them?

Emmandog, what type of personality do you like in a dog? Do you want a velcro dog that will always want to be near you, or do you prefer a more independent breed? Do you want a dog that loves everyone it meets, or one that is more selective? How much time can you devote to exercising and training your dog each day?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No where has the OP stated that they want to go running with a puppy, only that they want a breed capable of going for long runs. Also, while rescue is certainly always a valid option, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OP wanting to get a pup from a reputable breeder. Why don't we try to actually answer the op's question, instead of pushing an option the op has already said won't work for them?

Emmandog, what type of personality do you like in a dog? Do you want a velcro dog that will always want to be near you, or do you prefer a more independent breed? Do you want a dog that loves everyone it meets, or one that is more selective? How much time can you devote to exercising and training your dog each day?
I would like a dog that is both loyal but independent in the sense that it will not be so clingy that it will whine whilst I'm at school etc but not so independent that it doesn't show interest in me and prefers to do it's own thing.
As long as it's not overly aggressive or overly friendly with other people I'm not particularly bothered.
I can devote up to 4 hours exericse and longer training a day as whilst I do have school it doesn't finish too late and there is areas near me that I would feel safe taking it for a walk for a long period of time.

Sorry I'm so bad at describing what I mean :/

·
Registered
2,584 Posts

I didn't see anywhere until the last post that she mentioned she didn't want an adult dog- a puppy is fine if thats what the OP wants! She used the word "dog" instead of "puppy" throughout this post so I thought it was something she might be considering.

OP- you said both your dogs are collie mixes. Aussies are also herding dogs- do you think they suit you, or would you also consider a sporting type dog?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I didn't see anywhere until the last post that she mentioned she didn't want an adult dog- a puppy is fine if thats what the OP wants! She used the word "dog" instead of "puppy" throughout this post so I thought it was something she might be considering.

OP- you said both your dogs are collie mixes. Aussies are also herding dogs- do you think they suit you, or would you also consider a sporting type dog?
I definitely understand the difficulty of doing this with Ellie :( my hattie was a rescue that I was interested in doing agility with (she's an aussie mix and would LOVE it) but her patellas turned out to be way too poor for that much exercise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do prefer the herding dogs just purely because the last two dogs I've trained have been herding dogs or mixed with herding dogs and I find them very clever to pick up commands and very good for obedience and agility.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I do prefer the herding dogs just purely because the last two dogs I've trained have been herding dogs or mixed with herding dogs and I find them very clever to pick up commands and very good for obedience and agility.
Aussies could be a good choice. I personally love corgis as well but they are probably too short for you. A collie or a border collie could be another choice but (in my opinion) border collies tend to be more high energy than aussies.

Spaniels or retrievers appeal to you at all?

Also- you mentioned England. Which is the national all-breed kennel club for your country?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if you dont mind sharing (I'm off work today and looking at dogs anyway :) what is a city/location near you to look as far as breeders or aussie clubs?

Also- are you looking to do any conformation with the dog, or just agility? I would look for a breeder that has done some work in agility with their dogs and they'll probably be a good resource for agility clubs, ect. in your area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Truthfully I'm not sure. We got Ellie at a house in the country for free (Mixed breeds often go for free here).
I live near Fife in Scotland.

I did do a quick search and was linked to Champdogs (http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/australian-shepherd/breeders?ct=Scotland)

Who said Stonehaven and Falkirk. I know Falkirk is in a close distance, not to sure of Stonehaven.

One of the breeders has a website which was updated in june this year. Would it be wise to contact them?
http://www.btinternet.com/~quilmhair/intro.htm

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Right off the bat she mentions hip, eye, and conformation showing which are all good things. no harm in emailing her and asking more about her, but you can definitely take a day or two to look at lots of different breeder websites and clubs.

For an aussie, you definitely want eye and hip/patella clearances on the parents. Here in the US the results are published on websites like offa.com but I'm not sure who in the UK keeps track of the testing.

http://www.ascuk.co.uk/
http://www.australianshepherdnasa.com/

could also be good places to start looking for breeders.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts