Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I sent a thank you card to the vet that euthanized Smokey? She was so nice and caring and helpful, especially by letting me out through a back door instead of having to walk through the waiting room again. I'm not sure I could have done that as I was falling apart at the seams.
I wanted to send her a thank you card, even though I thanked her in person, I'd really like her to know how much I appreciated what she did.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
No not weird at all..

At my vet there is a wall of thank yous and what not to my vet for years of service to the felines and canines that have passed...even pictures of them too..

I think its sweet.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't think it would be weird at all. People need to know when what they did was far and beyond.

Maybe this world wouldn't be in the shape it is if people complimented more instead of criticized more.

I say go for it!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
no! we get them all the time (a ton at the emergency clinic) and it's very, very nice to hear! usually there's a picture included as well. i love seeing them, we have a whole bulletin board full of thank yous in the back. it's nice to know that the family is doing well and sometimes a little bit about the pet since at the emergency clinic we may only know them for a very short time.

sorry about smokey and i'm glad you had a good experience.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nope not weird and thank you for this because I was thinking of doing the same thing. We just had to put our 18 year old kitty down yesterday and the vet came to our house and did it here and he was very kind and said he was so sorry over and over and how much he hates doing this I think he was about to cry several times. I think they need to know that we dont feel bad about them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about Smokey.:(

I don't think it's weird at all. My vet sent us a condolence card after we put our old cat to sleep, and it really touched me (they hand signed it and wrote something personal to us). We sent them a thank you (we would have done it anyways, but their card came in like 2 days!), with a pic of Jezzabelle and a nice note. They went above and beyond with her, and were so very kind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It really wouldn't at all.

When we lost our Smokey (except he was a cat and we had had him for 17 years), he stayed at the vet for 3 days trying to get treatments to reverse his organ failure, and everyone was so wonderful and caring and did everything they could to make him comfortable. I was actually going to make them cookies as a thank you but I was working 60 hours a week and couldn't do it, but I did go by there and thank them, and also broke down crying in the process.

There is nothing weird or wrong with sending your vet a thank you, not for euthanizing your dog, but for making him comfortable and for doing his/her job the way he/she did it, and making the process easier for you.

I'm sorry you lost a loved one. It's been about 8 months since we lost our cat, and I still cry when I think about him and about the condition he was in when we decided to let him go. I hope your transition to not having him around goes smoothly, and know there is nothing wrong with mourning his memory.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's got to be one of the most heart-wrenching jobs I can possibly imagine... I'm sure a thank you note would be most welcome.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I don't think that is weird at all. I think hearing how a person feels about our actions helps us to either continue them because they are appreciated or change them if they are not. Thanks are always a good thing. :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just seems weird to me, but I wanted to run it by because I feel that the vet needs to know how much I appreciated what she did for my family.

I think I'll find something nice to send with it.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I'll join the rest and say NO that is not weird. Thank you cards are appreciated by vets and the techs too. We receive them on occasion. So please don't feel odd sending one. I think it would be really nice of you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll join the rest and say NO that is not weird.
Well thats 24 votes for sending a thank you, and no votes for NOT sending one.. So I will have to take the counter position...

Just kidding, I can't even begin to suggest that you dont thank the vet. Just put yourself in their shoes and imagine how nice it would be to get a thank you for such a difficult task.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I forgot to add... When one of our patients pass, we send a card, rose and a beautiful poem. Which I think is nice and it is really appreciated by our clients.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts