Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset with myself. I have our new dog Jake since last November. He was fixed before we got him (in March 2008.) Yesterday, I was rubbing his belly, went down a little lower.. and low and behold, he had a piece of metal (twisted- like the twistie on a loaf of bread) sticking out of his skin. I was shocked and did not know how it got there. Did he sit on something and it penetrated. Did a vet leave staples in him? What?
So we bring the dog to the vet today, and guess what, when they fixed him they left a staple in him! It has been there for 14 months!
I can't believe that a vet could be so irresponsible. Furthermore, this dog has been at a rescue and two foster families before us? And I rub his belly everyday (it's his favorite!).
The vet removed the staple and says he will be fine. :)
We got off lucky. I still feel terrible though- I should have caught it sooner.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wow, that sounds scary! How odd! I'm glad he's okay!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Don't feel bad. No harm was done. Besides, his body would have rejected somehow if it didn't want it there- so to say. His body would have pushed it out by itself like a splinter or it would have gotten infected and you would have found it sooner.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The vet may not have removed the staples...I know lots of folks who will take them out themselves rather than make a trip back to the vet just to have that done (heck, I'm one of those people! I'm not driving 40 minutes across town to have a vet do something I can do in less than 5 minutes). My question is why was there a staple in his belly to begin with? I've never had a neuter require staples (they usually leave the scrotum and just take that the baby-makin' part) and use disolvable stitches.

Was he a cryptorchid or something? That's the only reason I can think of for there to be a staple in his belly. At any rate...if a foster family or adoption group removed the staples, they may have been the ones to leave it in.

At least it's gone now. I'm sure it wasn't causing any problems...otherwise you'd have noticed him trying to get it out himself.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
No need to feel bad. Chances are it wasn't bothering him or he would have let you know. You and his previous owners may not have noticed it because it only just surfaced. Stuff like that can take a while to work its way out. I had a similar experience with my own "dissolving" stitches...everything was at it should have been immediately following the surgery, but several weeks later one of the stitches poked right through my incision and out into the world. I had to go have it cut off!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts