Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Toby has had the occasional aggressional spat at the dog park with a few dogs, and the odd growl/bark at the neighbor, but he hasn't been too bad.

He got desexed 2 days ago now, and he's a completely different dog. He's much more aggressive, he even growled at my sister, who he absolutely loves. He was okay once she was patting him but there was that initial grow which he's never done to her. He's also not sleeping properly, I don't know if it's uncomfortable for him with the cone on his head or what. Last night he woke me up several times cause he was barking and growling very loudly at something, I have no clue what, but it was several times throughout the night.

He's just overall more aggressive right now. I don't know why. He's also refusing to listen to me which is very frustrating. He's a very smart dog, and I was trying to do some simple training with him like puppy push-ups, he'd sit, but refuse to drop. He's refusing to go on to his bed when asked as well. But there's some commands he'll listen to, so I don't know if pain is a factor as he's refusing some things and not others (like dropping), although he'll lay down when he feels like it...

The aggression thing is just really worrying me though, if he's now going to be much worse than before... He's also now wearing an Adaptil collar which is supposed to calm him but it's not doing much! Or it is and without it he'd be much worse!? We used the Adaptil spray when he was younger and it worked really well for him.

Could it possibly be that he's in a lot of pain, more than usual, and it's causing the added aggression? I thought at first perhaps he's fearing people incase they try to "snip" something else off of him?! He was crying a lot in the car for the first day, I think he was worried we were going back to the vet... But today he's okay again in the car..

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't think anybody is themselves 2 days after surgery. Give him time to recover. And wearing a cone does make a dog more reactive, IME. . .in our family we say they're cranky because "the other dogs are laughing at him". Of course that's just silly but it does make them cranky for whatever reason. Just give him some time, don't try to do too much too soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha thanks. I think he may have realized my sister was laughing at his cone head.. I'm hoping it will be the cone anyways. We haven't seen another dog since well before the surgery, I wouldn't want to risk it. Hopefully the cranky pants will come off when the cone does. I guess we'll just have to bunker down in the house for the next 8 days (I might go mental). He's so full of energy and no real way to release it if he can't go out and play with other dogs at the park or play frisbee outside.. :(

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It could be that he's in some pain and feeling vulnerable. It could also be a reaction to anesthesia. My best little dog Alice (who is very social) snapped at a child the day after her spay. Very uncharacteristic for her. I had an emergency surgery in November and spent about 5 days in the ICU halluncinating and thoroughly convinced that I was dead. So anesthesia, pain and pain meds can definitely effect one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did she turn back into herself eventually? I'm really hoping he gets better the next few days :(. He's a cattle dog so it's more worrying as they're always referred to as being aggressive in general. He's very social though, it's only been the past few weeks that he's had this aggression, and then worse after the surgery. :( He needs to be good again! I take him everywhere with me, and I plan on moving overseas with him.. he can't be aggressive forever :(

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Did she turn back into herself eventually? I'm really hoping he gets better the next few days :(. He's a cattle dog so it's more worrying as they're always referred to as being aggressive in general. He's very social though, it's only been the past few weeks that he's had this aggression, and then worse after the surgery. :( He needs to be good again! I take him everywhere with me, and I plan on moving overseas with him.. he can't be aggressive forever :(
Oh yeah. She's been back to her normal, social self in the 9 years since her spay. Fortunately, I'm over my ICU psychosis as well! I noticed you said he was having aggression issues BEFORE his surgery? If that's the case, I might be looking at other causes, though the surgery could have made the situation worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts