Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a little bit of history here... Guinness started sneezing this thick, white mucous that would spray out of his left nostril like Spider Man shoots webs. aside from being totally disgusting, the whiteness of the mucuous suggested infection so I took him to the first vet who would see us. They tested his breathing to see if there was a blockage or foreign object, and decided it was probably an allergy. We were given two 10 day runs of Clavamox, and it did get better, but did not go away.

Almost 3 months later, his sneezing has gotten so bad and he had developed a heavy, wet cough. We feared pneumonia, but after a full vet checkup at a different vet, the results came back positive for Bordatella - Kennel cough! Guinness was vaccinated awhile ago, and should have been protected, but the blood tests also showed that his white blood cell count literally can't get much higher, and his immune system has been beaten into the ground. He just couldn't fight it off.

Antibiotics cured the kennel cough, but the sneezing has gotten worse. He starts panicking in the middle of the night when his nasal cavity gets plugged and he actually stops breathing. I have a nasal aspirator, but it doesn't doo much. I actually have to press down on the back of his tongue to get him to gag and take a breath orally.

He had lost a ton of weight before the kennel cough was diagnosed and actually started to become rather aggressive with other dogs, pretty much over night. Since he has been on the meds his temperament has improved and he is gaining weight and eating again, and is in pretty high spirits, but that gooey sneezing is just getting worse.

I talked to my vet yesterday. The test results for Guinness's nose should have been in by now (sent the cultures away to Calgary), but they haven't come in yet... The vet will call first thing Monday morning if they don't contact her first she is going to call and see what is going on...

But we had a conversation. We have tested for everything, CBC blood tests, swabs, cultures, etc. etc. etc., and if it the results don't come back showing evidence of a fungal infection, we have run out of options. The only other way to figure out what is going on would be exploratory surgery, and an MRI...

I don't know if any of you have ever had to consider these, but a rough estimate the vet gave me was that each procedure was going to cost a minimum of $1000 each.

I'm praying it comes back fungal, because as terrible as it makes me feel, there is just no possible way for me to be able to afford that.

Now, I can live with his gross runny nose and constant sneezing, but what the vet is concerned about is the fact that this THING is keeping his white blood cell levels elevated, making him prone to infection and any illness out there. His immune system has taken a severe beating. he will just keep getting sicker and sicker.

We're not getting ahead of ourselves yet, we don't know for sure, and I want to convince the vet to put him on some super strong antibiotics for an extended period of time. He does get BETTER when he is on antibiotics, and even goes away... But always comes back.

Do you have any suggestions at all? Are there any herbal supplements that can boost the immune system?

This just seems unreal.

He is such a sweet boy, and a happy dog. It hurts to see him dealing with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen three vets, and this last one is the vet my breeder has been using for over ten years. I really like her and trust her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts