Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescue dog Juno managed to get into an assortment of candy today (dum dums, butter fingers, jolly ranchers) he's a 3 year old lab mix that I've had since August. Last week he got into a bag of chocolates (it seems he only ate 2). He seemed ok then and showed no signs of chocolate toxicity. Just like last week he seems ok now. Bathrooms normally. He just ate and drank. What are some things I should look out for later in case the candy is still making its way through his system?

This is what he looks like if that'll help.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
That's something you really need to discuss with your vet. I'd be concerned about the sticks on the lollipops poking a hole somewhere.

And work on keeping stuff up and away from where he can get into it. If he gets ahold of something with the artificial sweetener xylitol in it, he could be in serious trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,435 Posts
Call your vet and ask. They'll be able to tell you how dangerous that amount/type of candy is better than we can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much. I called the vet and she said if he's gone to the bathroom is eating normally and playing then he should be ok. I will bring him for a check up just in case..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
One of the good things about having a big dog is that they can handle more of that type of thing than a small dog can. She should be fine, but it's always good to call your vet to be sure though.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top