Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week old pup Montana is showing signs (of what I interpret as) aggression. He is a. Very dominant puppy and is very standoffish, ignores me quite often, refuses to be trained and will act out at me if I try to hold him back from running toward other people or dogs. I am calm around him and don't use any abusive methods of punishment. He is getting his second shots tomorrow and will then be going into some puppy classes where I hope his behavior will improve. I am very worried about him and we spend all day together. I'm tired and I hate the fact (and I'm sure he is as well) that every time we go out its a total hassel. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Specifically what are the signs of aggression?

When I brought home my 10 week old puppy I expected lots of face licking and lots of cuddling and petting, what I got instead was a shark. For 2 weeks I could barely handle my puppy because of the nipping and gnawing. At 10 weeks a puppy is a baby, and the brain is not even fully developed. The only things I taught my 10 week old were, bite inhibition, the crate, potty training, getting accustomed to the leash, 'Eh, eh,' and her name. My puppy is now 13 weeks and the only "trick" she has learned is 'sit.' She hasn't stopped biting me, but at least she's no longer bruising me. There is a sticky called, "The Bite Stops Here," it will help with the biting and nipping.

My puppy is shy of dogs but she loves people, she will run to the end of her leash. Using smelly treats I keep her attention focused on me when around dogs or people I don't know.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
My 10 week old pup Montana is showing signs (of what I interpret as) aggression. He is a. Very dominant puppy and is very standoffish, ignores me quite often, refuses to be trained and will act out at me if I try to hold him back from running toward other people or dogs. I am calm around him and don't use any abusive methods of punishment. He is getting his second shots tomorrow and will then be going into some puppy classes where I hope his behavior will improve. I am very worried about him and we spend all day together. I'm tired and I hate the fact (and I'm sure he is as well) that every time we go out its a total hassel. Can anyone help me?
What kind of puppy is he? I am hopefull that the puppy classes you get him into make full use of clicker theory. That's SOOOOO useful for the independent thinkers (makes them think it is their idea!)

·
Registered
211 Posts
First of all, don't get caught up in the whole aggression/dominance line of thought. You're still working with a very young puppy who's still figuring things out, like how to control themselves, while also being playful.

One of the things that can help with young pups is to avoid situations where they'll get overstimulated. Depending on the situation you can take them away from the stimulation, ignore them and/or use a high value treat to reward desired behavior.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is an Akbash/pure mix. Reading up on them I know they are very independent dogs. I would eventually like to train him as a search and rescue dog. He gets a lot of socialization and his temperament is at its worst when he is either really excited or hasn't had enough sleep which I guess I would act similarly in those situations. Maybe I'm expecting too much from him and need to give him his space, he's not a lab or a boarder collie. Perhaps by comparing him to these breeds with different temperaments/instincts I am Barking up the Wrong Tree... Please excuse the pun.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Specifically what are the signs of aggression?

When I brought home my 10 week old puppy I expected lots of face licking and lots of cuddling and petting, what I got instead was a shark. For 2 weeks I could barely handle my puppy because of the nipping and gnawing.
We totally had that too! We brought Hammie home at 8 wks, and for the first two days he was a total sweetheart. Then he turned into a piranha. For a while I didn't want to come home from work and deal with him, it was so stressful, but I did and it paid off. Puppy classes helped, and playgroups helped. Finding ways to exhaust him were key, and still are really helpful. This morning park time + digfest and he slept most of the afternoon. He's 6 1/2 months old now and MOST of the time he's a charmer. Wait it out and get him involved in safe play activities if you can!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He is an Akbash/pure mix. Reading up on them I know they are very independent dogs. I would eventually like to train him as a search and rescue dog. He gets a lot of socialization and his temperament is at its worst when he is either really excited or hasn't had enough sleep which I guess I would act similarly in those situations. Maybe I'm expecting too much from him and need to give him his space, he's not a lab or a boarder collie. Perhaps by comparing him to these breeds with different temperaments/instincts I am Barking up the Wrong Tree... Please excuse the pun.
Yes, actually.

First of all, a 10 week old is a baby. How do human babies act when they're overstimulated and/or overtired? They throw tantrums, that's what! Same thing with baby dogs. Your dog isn't bad, he's just a baby.

Akbashes are guardian dogs, bred to protect flocks by themselves. They can certainly love humans and do other jobs, but they aren't labs, that's true. Plus, each individual dog is its own unique person, so no two dogs will ever be exactly the same.

Relax. Read the stickies in the forum. Learn what your dog likes and doesn't. Learn what sets off your dog and learn how to avoid that. Watch kikopup on youtube and learn how to train effectively and kindly. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the reassurance and the tips. I made a typo in one of my earlier posts. He is an Akbash/Pyrenees mix, not a pure Akbash. Probebly doesn't have much impact at this point as they are both LGD's and will inveriably produce a giant in the future.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
First I HIGHLY reccomend you read the sticky "The Bite Stops Here" and start useing the technique described in it. Reward heavily for polite behavior and take attention away for behavior you don't want. Try to find what motivates him, be it food, a toy ect and use that as a reward.

Remember what others have said, this is an infant. What's worse is the he doesn't have hands to explore the world and uses his mouth full of very sharp teeth to do so. It's up to you to train this pup and teach him what is and is not acceptable. Read through the stickies in the first time owners and training forums, they're full of great techniques to teach your pup manners.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What everybody has said above plus start teaching him to focus on you. Feed him his meals by the spoon full and make him work for each spoonful. Do sits and drops, paw shakes and roll overs.

Call his name and give him a treat when he looks at you. Call his name often and in all situations. As soon as he looks at you say "yes" and reward or better still use a clicker to mark the look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the tips everyone, we've been practicing the methods in the "bite stops here" Sticky and hopefully with time he will learn. Perhaps where I've gone wrong is letting him outside too frequently and expecting him to be able to focus on me and my commands...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts