Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is 9 years old turning 10. She's a german shepherd/siberian husky/NAID mix that I adopted when she was 8. She used to be so full of energy and she would literally run after the ball until she got heat stroke (from what the previous owner told me).

Now, she is limping when she walks and slides around and does the splits because her hind right leg keeps giving out. She has hip dysplasia and even though we didn't take her to the vet to check for it, reading about it I know that's what she has. It's gotten progressively worse. She bunny hops when she runs or walks towards something, she limps around, when she gets up from laying down her hind legs shake and tremble and she falls on the floor a few times (or about to) before she can get up. Her energy, however is great. She will ALWAYS bring me the ball to play fetch and if she hears ball, she will bring it to my feet. I've thrown it a few times and she will not hesitate to run all out, full of energy after the ball despite falling and sliding around in the dirt and bunny hopping on the hind legs.

My question is: Is exercise encourage or should it be avoided with dogs with hip dysplasia? I stopped playing fetch with her (even in grass or dirt and short distances) because she runs after like a mad man and jumps after it, etc. I also don't take her out on walks as much cause I feel like it will make it worse. But she just ends up laying and napping all day in the big backyard and also it causes her legs to atrophy. Not sure what to do here.
Muscles atrophy, joint's bad. Bad situation. Should I continue to play ball with her in soft grass and take her out for very small distance walks? If it was up to her, she wants to play forever. I'm the one that hides the ball from her.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You really really need to take her to a vet. At the least they will be able to give you medication that will improve her quality of life in regards to pain. Previcox or rimadyl come To mind. You could also go cartophen route. It's a series of injections that increases synovial fluid production in the joints. 1 injection once a week for the 1st four weeks then every 6 months or as needed afterward. http://www.arthritis.au.com/dog_owners_what_is_cartrophen_vet.html

They might have something different where you Are but it will do the same thing. I thinks it's called adequan. http://www.adequancanine.us/

Think about supplementing her diet with glucosamine and chondroitin also.

As for exercise, a lot of swimming. Increased muscle is the key to managing the problem. So is the dogs weight she needs to stay slim so she is not bearing as much load.

But before all that you really need to see a vet. It would be selfish to deny her proper treatment if she is in the condition you describe.

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
It is not possible to diagnose or treat the dog on the Internet. For the protection of the dog, and of this forum,
please read the disclaimer for this subforum and see a vet.

*Important - All serious concerns with your dog's health and well-being should be handled by a Veterinarian, so please refrain from asking questions that are best suited for their office.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts