Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i adopted a Beagle puppy on sunday morning, the shelter guessed he was about 8 weeks. The first two days were fine he was being played with a lot then sleeping good amounts. I have been feeding him Eukanuba salmon and rice, he doesn't eat too much but drinks good. Up until this morning he has had normal poops(once in morning,one at night) but this morning i woke up and found out he pooped in his crate. Now every hour or so hes pooping this clear mucus drops just about three drops and sleeping a lot. Ive been giving him puppy milk bones when he goes outside.

Is it possible its just because he ate some poop?..or could it be worms from stress leaving his mom/siblings? Hes been wormed and had his distemper shot already.

Im thinking about switching from Eukanuba to maybe Natural Balance?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It could be nerves, it could be that he ate something gross outside, it could be lots of things.
What food was he on at the shelter? Changing foods can cause problems, too. Changes should, ideally, be gradually.
I'd recommend Natural Balance over Eukanuba, but that's just my opinion.

Has he been seen by a vet? 8 weeks is still very young, and young puppies can get sick so quickly. I'd find a vet of your own, not affiliated with the shelter, and set up an appointment as soon as possibly....let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
First, have you taken him to your vet yet? Any shelter/rescue dog should be seen by your own vet within 1 week of being adopted.

Then, puppy shots are a series of shots since the time from when the immunity that comes from the mother (if the mother was vaccinated) wears off isn't an exact science. So he isn't fully vaccinated yet (at 8 weeks old).

Giving milk bones every time he goes outside is a lot of treats for a small pup, so that could be upsetting his tummy.
It could also be a quick switch of food from whatever he was eating at the shelter. Or it could be an illness.

My suggestion is to take him into your vet (which you need to do anyway--but CARRY him in, don't let him touch the floor) for a check-up, get a fecal test done, and meanwhile, cut back on the milk bones. If you want to treat him for potty outside (which is good for training), try using a piece or two of his dry food. More consistent for his stomach and less fillers/crappy ingredients than milk bones.

As for what food to try, there are a number of good threads in the food forum to browse.

PS-- Puppy photos will be required :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts