Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I am going to be getting my German Shepherd puppy within the next few days, but my problem is they are only 6 weeks old, The man I am getting her from, is a very close friend and has bred them before. He insists that they are ready, he know's just as well as I do that everyone says 8 weeks but says they are ready he can tell. This man has German Shepherds his entire life and ensures me that he knows what he is doing. So it looks like im getting this puppy early weather I like it or not. Is there any tip or anything that may help her settle in a bit easier?

Thanks guys

Brandon

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I am going to be getting my German Shepherd puppy within the next few days, but my problem is they are only 6 weeks old, The man I am getting her from, is a very close friend and has bred them before. He insists that they are ready, he know's just as well as I do that everyone says 8 weeks but says they are ready he can tell. This man has German Shepherds his entire life and ensures me that he knows what he is doing. So it looks like im getting this puppy early weather I like it or not. Is there any tip or anything that may help her settle in a bit easier?

Thanks guys

Brandon

You can't control whether you back out of getting the puppy or not? This sounds like the guy isn't that good of a breeder. Plus, just because he's been in GSDs for a long time doesn't mean he should be breeding them. There's a doberman breeder who has been breeding for YEARS and still shouldn't be doing it. Taking a dog from it's mother and siblings too early can cause some serious problems. Anyways, yes, the puppy is leaving it's mother and littermates too soon. If you're determined to support this man's program then read up on bite inhibition, at least, and perhaps make sure you have a good trainer in mind in case you have more problems. You might want to request a toy or blanket be sent home with him so that he still has the scent of his mother and siblings for a little while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! Also BEAUTIFUL dog you have there! see the problem is I have grown so attached to this puppy, I have basically been there once a day for its entire life, and I swear this is the one! I SO rather get this puppy then see her go to someone who is not going to properly take care of her, especially because they will be sold so early. I do not mean to make myself sound like I know everything because I don't but I am not joking for the last week I have done nothing but research and learn every piece of information on dog training that I could possibly find (Kinda obsessive) but to be honest I want this dog to be the best it can be and I want to be the best and most responsible dog owner I can be. I have noticed that every dog that I have been around in my life has not been properly trained and cared for. Through studying and seeing so many mistakes being made by so many dog owners I honestly believe that I am ready for her and confident that I can train her very well so I am hoping that I will not need a trainer, all though I know they are riddled with experience that I do not have and if it comes to that, there are very highly spoken of trainers in my town. Also I thought I would mention I have never in my life seen puppies this smart! they are 42 days old and all 8 know how to go on a pee mat every time. The owners dog's are the most well trained dogs I have ever met! its unbelievable and this is one of the main reasons I want to keep her so bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually this is kinda funny, I was just talking to him and he has decided to keep them for at least another week so that is good news on my part! thanks tho

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thank you :]

I can understand growing attached to a puppy, especially if you're spending a lot of time with it. If you feel prepared and you're willing and able to deal with any problems that arise then you should be fine.

Edit: YAY for him keeping them a little longer!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Thank you :]

I can understand growing attached to a puppy, especially if you're spending a lot of time with it. If you feel prepared and you're willing and able to deal with any problems that arise then you should be fine.

Edit: YAY for him keeping them a little longer!!
When I fostered puppies there was often a litter that would come in at 5-6 weeks and have to be split up to a few different foster homes with 2 or 3 puppies at each home. Letting puppies that young socialize with lots of dogs before they've finished all their vaccinations is dangerous, but I would see if you can get in touch with some of the other families to do bi-weekly or weekly playdates with the littermates. We would do the same thing and a few foster parents would meet and let more of the litter play together. Its also fun to see how the littermates grow and change when compared to eachother!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts