Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to me like a bit of a basic question, though perhaps it is a training one..... we want a rug but are worried she will chew it to shreds. We've got linoleum tile right now throughout (we rent, so redoing floors entirely isn't an option).

She's got a bit of a penchant for chewing on smaller area rugs, though the previous one was very small (destroyed the rubber backing in a spot and started pulling the threads through, it went right in the garbage). The rubber mat at the front door is alternately ignored and flipped over. We've removed it for a little while because she was showing WAY too much interest in it last week. She's been having a bout of adolescent behavior lately :p

Any thoughts? Is she likely to ignore a large rug it because its bigger? Is there a way to help keep her from chewing it until she gets so used to it she doesn't notice it any more? Would sticking it down help or make her even more interested in it (I'm thinking digging at it until it unsticks...then chowing down). I'm less concerned about wasting money on a rug than the potential for problems if she DOES unravel it (a friend's dog was recently close to death from that very thing!). We would get her used to it in short sessions, but if we get the rug we're thinking of it'll be too big to roll up all of the time and put back again later. The lack of a rug at the front door at the moment is picking at me too....ways to help with these rug problems? helpful anecdotes? anything?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Do you think she would try to chew up one of those stiff grass mats? Or is this for looks rather than keeping shoes on? I had this problem way back when, as we do not wear shoes in the house ... I just gave up on the rug. :)

·
Banned
241 Posts
Our rug has been chewed on plenty of times over the years. :)

Not a big deal deal though. It is more or less the dogs rug anyway. We use it to cover the spot where one dog ATE some of the carpet. LOL! :biggrin1:

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
When my girls were confined to the "dog room" - which was a tiled, paneled room that used to be a basement recreation room - they chewed up EVERYTHING (remember the sofa picture?) They even started to chew on the walnut paneling on the walls. They couldn't have a bed in there. Even the "indestructible" ones were short-lived.

So nobody was more surprised than me when my wife, who loves her furniture, suggested we give them the run of the house while we're away.

The first day we did that, I expected to return to chaos and shambles. But there was neither one.

We've lost a few fuzzy slippers that were foolishly left out. (They look remarkably like fuzzy squeak toys.) The stray loaf of bread left too close to the edge of the counter has disappeared. We've found some dog fur on the couch. (They are not allowed on the furniture.)

But, otherwise, nothing. We have area rugs in every room (with birch floors underneath.) We have yummy-looking furniture that would have become twigs in the dog room.

I think the difference is that, with the run of the house, they can lie in the sun and follow it from room-to-room. They can look out several windows on two floors. They can bark at the mailman and anyone else who ventures within barking distance.

They have stuff to other than chewing on the walls.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It's a possibility that she'll chew on a large rug, especially since she's chewed on smaller ones. You could invest in some Bitter Apple, that's always worked for me. You could also just keep a very close eye on her for the first week or so of having the rugs and redirect and reward if/when she starts chewing on edges. I will say that finding a way to get the edges to stick down will help. My boy ignores rugs unless he finds a corner flipped in for some reason and then he gets super interested.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think she would try to chew up one of those stiff grass mats? Or is this for looks rather than keeping shoes on? I had this problem way back when, as we do not wear shoes in the house ... I just gave up on the rug. :)
heh....we've got one of those stiff ones outside for trying to wipe our shoes off. If she's on her own outside for more than 30 seconds she'll start throwing it around. The rug at the door is to try to keep the dirt that accumulates coming in the door from spreading. Our door is a sliding door and it goes directly into our kitchen/livingroom area. Really hard to keep the dirt down (shoes and boots live mostly in our boot-box). I also want the big rug so its nicer on the feet in here, besides the tiles are incredibly ugly and look dirty no matter what I do.

Caeda has done so well with everything else! She has free run in the kitchen/livingroom. She seems to be so attracted to the rugs though. Another reason I'm concerned with the rug/carpet thing is that we rent....if we move either into another rental or buy a house she needs to be ok with carpets (I wish I'd thought of this WAY earlier in her socializing!).

Bitter apple....heh....she chuffs in the face of bitter apple. She got her teeth on the bottle once, she actually punctured it and didn't care a bit. Tried cayenne...phhht... no difference, she seems to almost like it!

I guess I should try the redirection rewarding thing with the small rug again. Its just so difficult to tell when we're done with doing that. Her interest in that kind of thing comes and goes. No matter what though, we will pin it down.

Oh, and my friend's dog, they removed something like 16 feet of carpet thread from her stomach! I SO don't want a scare like that! (never mind the vet bill!). I'd just like to have ability to have a rug, at least to catch some of the front door dirt!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
We have rugs all over our house, heck we even have rugs on some of the carpeted areas. The older dogs never touch em' the puppy was caught chewing a corner today and corrected.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We don't have any rugs on the ground floor at all, all linoleum and hardwood. Upstairs, it's wall to wall. Puppy does try to pull up the edges of the wall to wall carpeting and chew it, but then she'll also pull up linoleum and chew that too! Our biggest reason for no carpeting downstairs is actually the older dog. She's house trained and can hold it a long time, but she'd really rather not have to get up and go outside, as she's arthritic. She doesn't like to get her feet wet though, so we have no carpets to keep her from peeing...if there is a carpet downstairs, she'll pee on it once and a while.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Caeda has been odd in her destructive chewing, which has been minimal all things considered. She tends to do it more when we are home and she wants in some way.....wants out, wants attention, wants more play etc. She seems to have a hard time being bored if we are there. If I'm doing some house cleaning, or go out to the garage to do some stuff she is WAY more likely to do some of her bratty chewing than if we are sleeping in bed at night or out at work for the day.

Part of me thinks she'd do fine if we left her be with a rug during the day, but the other part of me is terrified to come home to her with 16 feet of unravelled rug in her belly! Maybe I'll start by bringing in a small rug, maybe bringing back the front door rug (it didn't unravel, just came off in small chunks, worst case she SHOULD pass it if she gets a bite). See how she does semi-supervised with the little rugs. Maybe a month or so of good behaviour and I can consider a big rug....of course getting a solid month of good behaviour might take a year....UUGH. A finer weave rug rather than thick pile carpet might do better too....hmmmm. I guess I've got lots of time to pick the one we want!

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I were you I'd do to walmart, get a cheap area rug, and throw it down for a while... test run. If she doesn't destroy it, then youre good to go :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts