Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..this maybe should be posted under health questions, but I wanted a quick answer and am sure many here know the answer. While cleaning up a few days of dog poop in our backyard...I found one pile that looked normal, as well as a pile with it that was diarrhea. It looked to be two days old...quite dried out on the outside. When I scooped it up, there were little white worms inside. They were very tiny....about 1/4 inch in size, still alive. Would they be baby roundworms or could they be worms that entered the stool from the ground? Don't want to give Ginny meds unless I have to. Thanks so much for any info.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Probably yard type worms if 2 days later. I would check the next fresh poop , if you have round or tape worms you will see them.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roundworms look like very skinny pieces of spaghetti noodles and tapes look like rice just a tad longer.
Hmmm.thanks for your info. I did look up pics, but of course they were enlarged. I was looking for rough segments, and I guess you would not see them by the naked eye. They actually were about the length of rice, or a tad longer. I will do a bit of research into both types. I do not want to compromize her health because I am trying to avoid unneeded meds. Will meds from a petfood store work, or would I be best to get them from the vets if needed.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
You know thats kinda a personal choice, I don't like generics personally.

Don't mind if I'm taking them but with my dogs I prefer a trusted Vet's advice etc.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Almost certainly maggots. Flies lay eggs immediately in the poop, and they hatch 24 hours later into maggots. Intestinal worms wouldn't survive 2 days out of the body.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Hmmm.thanks for your info. I did look up pics, but of course they were enlarged. I was looking for rough segments, and I guess you would not see them by the naked eye. They actually were about the length of rice, or a tad longer. I will do a bit of research into both types. I do not want to compromize her health because I am trying to avoid unneeded meds. Will meds from a petfood store work, or would I be best to get them from the vets if needed.
Run a fresh stool sample into the vets, most will do a test fairly cheap and without needing a full vet exam for established clients.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I think I will take afresh sample in just to be on the safe side. My dog spent 10 days recently with my niece and her dog. She got the runs while she was there and has still had the off stool once in a while. Then if my dog is positive I can call my niece to test her dog as well. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts