Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up Bella, 8wk old full blood Basset Hound, on Saturday. I've seen hookworms in her poo, soft-serve consistency, and can only assume she may also have tapeworms. I'm taking her to our local vet on Monday afternoon for her first visit. Her previous owner gave her the first round of shots. Its been over 10yrs since I had a new puppy. So, I'm a little fuzzy on some things. I'm thinking that the worms can be dealt with easily with some meds from our vet. I can see her ribs, but they don't poke out a lot. She eats and drinks very well. We just got her some Science Diet Puppy food and a container of Eukanuba treats. Are the worms causing her to look underfed? When she's treated for the worms do we just keep feeding her as normal or should I supplement her diet with something that'll help with weight gain?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The vet should be able to clear everything up, but puppies should be kept on the thin side. Being too chubby at such a young age can stress growing joints. So don't try to fatten her up too much!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I'd read where you should be able to feel their ribs, but not see them.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, in general. But if you can slightly see the last 2 ribs it's fine. And sometimes puppies go through a growth spurt that makes them skinnier than usual......but that's OK, too. It's better for them to be a tiny bit too thin while growing than to be too heavy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
After I got my rescue from the shelter I discovered he had roundworms. Since he's been dewormed I haven't seen any major changes in his weight. His coat looks much healthier though, and the gas is gone (thank goodness, I was about to start wearing a gasmask)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts