Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I use Interceptor which prevents heartworm disease, controls adult hookworm, and removes and controls adult roundworm and whipworm infections....

I get this through my vet and it is pricey....although I am in the process of changing vets soon.

Is there a similar safe product I can buy in stores that controls the same worms? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Currently I use Interceptor which prevents heartworm disease, controls adult hookworm, and removes and controls adult roundworm and whipworm infections....

I get this through my vet and it is pricey....although I am in the process of changing vets soon.

Is there a similar safe product I can buy in stores that controls the same worms? Thanks!
Nope - all heartworm preventatives require a prescription from a vet. The prescription can be filled at the vet practice itself (which is actually what you have been doing without realizing it) or filled through one of the pet med sources. But there is nothing available over the counter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yep, heartworm meds require a prescription. For whip/hook/round worms, I use liquid goat wormer that I can get on the net or at a feed store. Same thing as Panacur/Safeguard, but far cheaper than the canine versions. Doesn't work on the most common tapes, though. You'd still need to cover the heartworm, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With all the scams that's out there I personally wouldn't use/trust any de-wormers not prescribed from a Vet.

Stick with Vet visits . Doses & medication normally vary and if not treated some worms can cause some serious internal injury that can't be reversed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts