Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I am dog sitting a 10 month old collie while her owner is recovering from surgery.

The dog was bought as a show dog and as time has gone on, has devoloped a fear of people and new places.

I take her for a walk and she could care less that we are walking past people, for a 10 month old puppy she has no desire to even look at people while we walk past them. If we stop to talk, she will shy away and not go near the person. I take her to the bus stop and while she looks like she would like to see the kids there, as soon as we get close tot he kids, she backs off.

I know she needs to get out and around people more, that is her big problem. This is the reason we have her while her owner is recovering. Any advice??

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If you are helping by getting this young adolescent out more that's one thing that will help. Just make sure you never reassure or coddle her when she's acting fearful. This stage is perfectly normal and if you keep exposing her to as many different stimuli as you can while being relaxed and confident she'll get past this stage.

Practicing obedience exercises and nilif daily will help build her confidence. When she tries to back away from a situation, make her sit. At the same time, there is no reason you have to permit anyone to pet her if she's not comfortable with being pet. This is something you can work on gradually. Hand the person a treat and ask them to offer it to her without looking directly at her or trying to pet her. If necessary ask them to gently drop the treat in front of her to start with.

Once the owner's recovered suggest that she take or have you take the dog to agility lessons for additional confidence boosting.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
She will mimic her handlers energy, meaning, that if when she starts to act fearful, you stand straight, she will do so as well. Sobaka just went through this stage. Just keep confident, and you'll get her through. Ditto for the obedience/agility,

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Fear periods can be tricky. You want to be positive and up beat, but you also need to give her time to cope- you CANNOT jolly her through it or tell her to essentially 'just get over it' (fear doesn't work that way). But you also can't baby her. (If she's a very soft dog, I'd err on the babying side, personally.) And you want to get her out and about, but you also want to make sure she has no bad experiences- avoid places that people will do the "But shy dogs LOVE me" force petting crap.

Using a clicker can be great for working with fearful dogs because it will allow you to mark even tiny positive behaviors- looking at a strange person rather than averting her eyes, any tiny body motion towards them (even if it's just a head-up-to-sniff-at-a-distance) type thing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone. As it turns out her Owner called today and is feeling better so she will be going home today. I will pass all this information on to her Mom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts