Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I seem to have forgotten the tips and tricks over the years. :(

Charlie is getting better about house training in that she will start to sniff around, go out with the other dogs or walk over to the kitchen to let us know she needs to go out. Lots of praise when she does go pee and poop. We do stand out in the yard to make sure she actually goes. ETA: She CAN hold it all night. She sleeps in our room in our bed and has no accidents.

She still has accidents though. (weve had her about 2wks). Her favorite spot is under the kitchen table. I do use a pet urine spray and clean it and we are getting a baby gate so she cant have access to that area anymore.
Im just not sure what else to do? I stay at home so shes not left alone or anything. This is just one of those " I really needed to go right then" type situations.

Is she too little to train to ring a bell? Im ok with accidents, shes still a pup, i just dont remember since its been years what we did for the others!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I would proactively take her out on a "regular" basis maybe every hour or two during the day. Since you are praising or treating her then continue along with key words like "do you want to go out" and "go make" or things to that effect. Zoey doesn't have a particular 'I need to go out' alert but when asked if she needs to go out and she does need to go out - runs to the door.

I personally used high value treats for potty training to make it extra special to go to the bathroom outside.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Potty training is 99% management. Take her out often enough that she's doesn't feel the need to go inside. Gate her into the room where you are so she can't go out of sight and have an accident.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with what has been said. Taking the dog out proactively on a regular basis and use of a crate, a pen or gates when you are unable to completely watch the dog is good management and will go along way to potty training. Having an occasional accident in the house if you catch her in the act, while frustrating and a PIA, is not a bad thing if you pick the dog up and say no or whatever in a sharp voice. Then lots of praise outside when she does, because soon she will connect the dots, I get a not so nice voice when I potty in the house with a nice voice and lots of love and praise when I go outside.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Oh man I had so many problems with potty training lol mostly because this was my first puppy ever and I honestly had 0 clue what to do, even with all of the research that I've done. What I found that works best for me personally is putting my dog on a potty timer - at 18 weeks I can confidently say that Sterling only needs to go out to potty every 50 minutes to avoid accidents. Honestly when I get another puppy (when Sterling is a bit older) what I would do immediately is start taking them out every 30 minutes from the time you bring them home (usually 8 weeks) and up it 5 minutes a week for every week that you go without an accident. IME, that's what seems to work best for me, and I had made the mistake of putting a litter tray in a puppy room instead of crate-training. Crate-training when I'm not home combined with the timed potty breaks have made him about 95% potty trained by 4 1/2 months - only has happy tinkles now.

Edit: I would NEVER litter train a dog now, unless I lived in an apartment with 0 other options and it was a smaller dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts