Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...itary-dog-jumping-out-of-a-helicopter/238431/

I knew military dogs were impressive, but I never knew that they were trained/ allowed to do something like this. (The longest dog/human jump was a little over 28 eiffel towers.)

I really want to hear opinions on this, particularly from those who work GSD's. I can't really say I (currently) have a strong opinion either way, as I'm under the impression that the dogs enjoy their jobs.

My only lingering question- does anyone think its possible that you could actually train a dog to jump from a helicopter, or does it likely come down to them having to push the dog off.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...itary-dog-jumping-out-of-a-helicopter/238431/

I knew military dogs were impressive, but I never knew that they were trained/ allowed to do something like this. (The longest dog/human jump was a little over 28 eiffel towers.)

I really want to hear opinions on this, particularly from those who work GSD's. I can't really say I (currently) have a strong opinion either way, as I'm under the impression that the dogs enjoy their jobs.

My only lingering question- does anyone think its possible that you could actually train a dog to jump from a helicopter, or does it likely come down to them having to push the dog off.
It doesn't rattle the right dog too much.

My dog Bandit rode on helecopters three or four times as part of the Sheriffs Auxilary training. It never seemed to bother him.

I have a harness that connects tightly to my chest area. It has a heavy nylon tether that attaches to my waist in for cable dropping or repelling from a helecopter. Never did that.

I have never had Merlin in a helecopter but he is even more bold of a dog than Bandit was, So I doubt it would bother him. I have had him in a military truck and an airboat. He didn't have an issue.

The hardest part is that I am afraid to fly. I had a hard time controlling my emotions.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JohnnyBandit- do you think it would make a difference if the dog was unrestrained (like the first photo)? I could see the dog being okay with the drop if it was in contact with the handler, but that it would be harder to do if they weren't.

Then again maybe its like dock jumping and the dogs are so drivey that they go for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't have a GSD, but I do have a working Dutch Shepherd (the second picture in the link you posted looks like it might be a DS).

My opinion is that these dogs are nothing short of bad a$$. I'd expect the level of drive in these dogs to be basically off the charts. I know Nico would probably hit the water before he realized he was even falling if I rolled the almighty ball off of a helicopter, and he would probably be considered <very> low drive compared to the working dogs in the military.

I think it would depend on the dog, as well as the bond that the dog has with its handler regarding the restrained versus unrestrained jump. The unrestrained jump seems to me to be more of a confidence thing, where the dog would be slowly built up to jumping off a helicopter. The restrained jump would seem to be more of a trust in the handler issue. I would expect that a drivey, confident dog would have an easier time jumping unrestrained, but I am really only guessing there.

Some day I'd like to give a retired military working dog a retirement home.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I know Nico would probably hit the water before he realized he was even falling if I rolled the almighty ball off of a helicopter, and he would probably be considered <very> low drive compared to the working dogs in the military.
This would be Josie, my parent's GSD. It would be a lot of other breeds, too. Any dog with a high drive will do a lot of things for the right trainer. They may not fully understand "I'm jumping out of a plane flying 3000 feet in the air! They just jump.

I saw someone (on TV) who jumps with their chihuahua off a plane, and I saw someone in Hawaii parasailing with their pug.

There's a book called Sergeant Max about a GSD in the military. I plan on reading it someday, seems interesting.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
JohnnyBandit- do you think it would make a difference if the dog was unrestrained (like the first photo)? I could see the dog being okay with the drop if it was in contact with the handler, but that it would be harder to do if they weren't.

Then again maybe its like dock jumping and the dogs are so drivey that they go for it.
Well the dog that is free jumping is muzzled. And to know whether the dog followed the handler out or was thrown out, you would have to see the few shots prior. Probably the reason for the muzzle and it probably happens both ways. IF the dog goes fine..... If not, he gets helped......

Either way, I don't think it matters much and I am sure it happens both ways. Dogs of the caliber and drive to do that type of work are not easily rattled.

It goes far beyond a dog doing dock diving. Not very hard to get a dog to dive off a dock. Some jump farther and are more into than others. But most will do it given the opportunity. The dogs that are capable of doing some of the things military dogs dog, would follow their handler through the fires of hell then kick the devil's butt....

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have had one on a helicopter. Never taught one to jump, but yes the drivey dogs will jump from anything and not have a thought about it. Most its nerve and drive, also trusting the handler. Many military and LE dogs are muzzled when in close contact with others. Picture it as the safety on a gun.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I've lived on military bases and have watched military dogs train, they KICK A$$. There is a facebook page dedicated to Military working dogs of EVERY type and I post thing from there to my FB page all the time. I'm thinking of adopting a retiree in the future (after raising and training DH his SD which will be an English Mastiff)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts