Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this stray yesterday. I sent a picture to a GSD breeder who told me she looked like a Working Line sable.
She looks purebred to me, I just wanted a few more opinions.

She's the smartest dog I've ever met in my whole life; she just knows EVERYTHING !

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah she is pure. Have you had her checked for a tattoo or microchip yet? Chances are she is not really a stray.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've put up posters and no one has contacted me yet. I plan on taking her to the vet later to get her nails trimmed. They're really long. I'll ask for a microchip scanning as well.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Check her ear or her inner thigh, that is generally where a tattoo would be, some people still do those. Give posters time, it takes a while. I would put up an ad online as well, but leave the description vague. You can do so one various sites.

I suggest
http://www.petfinder.com/local.html

or even Craigslist, but again leave any info as vague as possible, make the person who answers describe her.

You could also check with working line GSD breeders in your area. They might know who this dog is. But that really depends on if she really is a working line GSD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is one local breeder, but she only raises the Black and Tan saddle (whatever it's called) shepherds. :p I sent her the picture and she didn't recognize it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
A while back there was a problem in my area of someone going around and stealing dogs and then dumping them in other areas just to be mean..........you never know. I hope it all works out either way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE!
Back from the vet; she does not have a microchip or a tattoo.
The vet said she is (max.) 2 years old.
She also said that if her owners really wanted her, they'd be aggressively searching for her right now, because of her amazing temperment and such. She's definitely a purebred. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely intend on doing everything I can to find her family.
I know she is not my dog. I hope that didn't come across as my opinion.
Honestly, I was thinking of posting a vague ad in the local newspaper too.
How long do you expect me to post ads daily? I'm going to do everything I can, so if I don't find her family, I can rest easy knowing I did everything I could.
If I find her family, fantastic. Perfect ending.
If I don't find her family, just as well. I have the money, time, and dog experience to take care of her and help her live a great life.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
An ad in the local paper is great, many will print "found" ads for free.

Also consider the fact that dogs can travel great distances fairly quickly. A GSD could cover 20-30 miles a day easily. Post ads for all major cities for at least 100 miles radius of you on craigslist and look at Facebook dog rescue groups in your area (the same large area) and post semi-vague posts on them also. Basically, start networking.

Personally, I would put posts on craigslist weekly for at least 6-8 weeks and posts on FB every couple days for the same time frame.

Also, did the vet scan her whole body? Chips can migrate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our local newspaper charges for Found Animal ads. :p
I'm kinda partial to Craigslist. I definitely don't want someone to respond and try to claim her if she really isn't theirs.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Our local newspaper charges for Found Animal ads. :p
I'm kinda partial to Craigslist. I definitely don't want someone to respond and try to claim her if she really isn't theirs.
That is why you make them describe her, Just say you found a GSD, in whatever area you did. Make them ask if she is a female and what color she is, and whatever other things about her they can give. Don't include a picture, have them give you a photo.

You can throw out the ones that ask if the dog is a male, give the wrong color.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is why you make them describe her, Just say you found a GSD, in whatever area you did. Make them ask if she is a female and what color she is, and whatever other things about her they can give. Don't include a picture, have them give you a photo.

You can throw out the ones that ask if the dog is a male, give the wrong color.
Exactly! Besides, you'll know when they come to claim her ... if she recognizes them you'll know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
While there's generally no way to tell whether or not a dog is purebred without a pedigree from an honest breeder, she does appear to fit the GSD standard perfectly. She's very pretty, hope all goes well with her. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are websites you can post on that are specifically for lost and found pets, or you could even try calling shelters around where you live to see if anyone has been calling about a lost German Shepherd.

If you end up not finding the owners, there are also canine DNA tests to determine the breed in case you're still questioning whether or not she's a purebred. If there's any mix, you'll know.

Good luck!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would definitely post on both Craigslist AND in the newspaper for about a month. Not everyone has a computer or, if they do, check Craigslist. You can easily be vague and just mention a found GSD with no mention of sex or color. I'd also put notices up at vet offices..even if just a description to be kept behind the counter in case an owner calls. There have certainly been cases where an owner is on vacation or in the hospital and the caretaker has lost the dog and may not search thoroughly. I think it's pretty irresponsible for a vet to say that, after a few days, if an owner hasn't been found they must not want her.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts