Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I will be working from home taking customer service calls, and I will also be getting a puppy in the next few months. I am wondering if you guys have any advice for me!
My schedule will be 10-7 with a one hour lunch break around 12:30. I definitely plan to go out and play with the puppy before and after work and during my lunch break, but from what I hear, I will not have very many chances to get up and go outside for 15 minutes while I am working since I have to be by the computer in case someone calls in. Will this be enough to housebreak the puppy?

Also, I was thinking about having a play pen in the office so he can play during the day and if it is a slow day, I can play with him in the office. However, I have also heard that some people prefer to keep their dogs in another room as if they were leaving the house to go to work, but since he will be a puppy, I would probably feel better if I had an eye on him (maybe a baby monitor? lol). What do you guys think? He is a mini aussie :).

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
77 Posts
A young puppy often needs to go outdoors every few hours. I think you are terrific for exploring the situation before the fact. If you have a yard, you could take your puppy outside for a pee and even if you got a call, say something to the caller like 'one moment while I access your account', and be back inside in a few seconds. It does not take puppies long to relieve themselves. Or you could buy a tablet and be able to access the internet from your yard.
My personal feeling is that a puppy is like a baby and needs some attention during the day, but you do not want to set up a situation where the puppy can pee inside. If you are going to house train him, he should either be in a crate, outside, or if inside, you must be watching like a hawk ready to scoop him up if he squats or shows signs that he needs to pee. You won't be able to do that if he is in a play yard and a customer calls in.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The short answer is that no, that's not enough to housebreak a puppy. My puppy needed to go outside every 20-25 minutes when he was awake and active until he was almost four months old.

I think you need to readjust your expectations slightly. Your puppy should either be 1. crated or 2. being directly supervised (as in, actively watched) or 3. outside in order to potty train effectively.

Work from home schedules can be tough with puppies because you're going to get interrupted frequently. You also need to make sure that you do leave the house sometimes - if your puppy becomes used to your constant presence and then you suddenly don't work from home any more, that can cause issues like separation anxiety.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
I work from home, depends on what you need to happen. What is the most important have to haves in order to be successful in your work. Me it's more of a personal level self run business lots of leave way with background noise. Will say the cats are the worse for talking while I am on the phone. Best is to write out what you absolutely have to have for your work. Then make a list of what your puppy will need ... and see if you can work out a plan to get it done with the set up that you have.

what is your house set up, like you mentioned about setting up a play pen in your office. What breed and what age are you thinking about. What ever your situation is or will be, set up a plan for working with what you have and can do. I use to go to work and I set my pup up in a baby gated area with newspaper down while I was gone. So yes a young pup peed and pooped while I was gone at work . That was my situation of the time, and that is how I worked with it to be ok about it. Make it work :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would recommend using a crate or ex-pen and puppy pads until your puppy is old enough to be able to hold it longer. It's also good training for the puppy to know he's not going to be played with 24/7 and that it's okay to just chill in the crate. Take him out before work, on your lunch break, and after work. He should learn the schedule pretty quickly.

I would NOT put the customer on hold while you take the puppy out! Lol! That's just bad customer service and very unprofessional. Considering this is a new job (assuming?) and it's a customer service role, that would be a good way to get fired imo.

You'll want to have a plan for the noise your puppy is going to make too. Say you're on a call and puppy starts to fuss or cry - have a plan for that. Maybe a stuffed Kong or a treat toy for those occasions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For a puppy coming home at about 8 weeks, i would say 3 times to go to the bathroom will not be enough to accomplish house breaking. When I brought my puppy home at 10 weeks he needed to go out every 15-20 minutes. However, he wasn't out long at all. I would recommend crate training right away, allow him to hang out in there when you need to be working, although the housebreaking will be a problem considering he will need to go out quite a bit. He won't need to go out long so I would recommend at least giving up 5 minutes every 20-30 minutes to take him out. A play area in your office is a great idea, however, puppy pads make housebreaking difficult especially since puppy pads should be put at the door to learn where to go and if he's in his pen he'll go there. I'd say compare it to your job, see if it's too time consuming to bring him out every 20 minutes, maybe talk it over with your boss and explain the situation??
Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts