Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I hope that everyone and their pets are good. I am a first time doggie owner. Feya is a French Bulldog and is just over 4 months old now. We only got her a month ago. I have a few questions that I hope some experienced frenchie owners could shed a light on and I thank you in advance for your time.

1. Feya learnt very quickly to pee/poo on puppy pads that we placed just by the main door as we were not allowed to take her out until she had one more round of shots to complete. She can now walk out and we have already made the transition of moving the puppy pads outside the door where she eliminates. She successfully poos on her first and second morning walks but we can't seem to get her to poo out at night. She is very distracted and after a lot of standing still in the desired poo area we bring her home only to find that she goes and poos on the pads/ newspaper outside the door. Also strangely she has not wee-ed out at all. I have taken some soiled pads and newspaper downstairs to the marked area but no luck. Even though I take her out after she wakes up and after play time and after meals she still wees on her pads outside the door. Could anyone shed any light on this please? I have read that you must show her the new place she must eliminate by taking the pad from the old to the new location. Problem with us is that we live in an apartment block on the 7th floor.

2. On her first walk out she was understandably a bit overwhelmed and a bit shivery. However she was very friendly to dogs and other people who came up to play with her. i have noticed that she does not really like to go outside. It is a little struggle to get her to move away from the area near the flat. She resists and if the leash is long, walks back and stays in the area by the main entrance to the building. Is this normal too. Treats dont work either. She is reluctant to eat the same treats she scoffs down at home when she is outside.

3. She was prone to poo eating so I used the pineapple/ pumpkin trick and it worked fine. However now she does not like her kibble as much without the pineapple/pumpkin. Her appetite has been a bit erratic since she started walking outside too.

Sorry for the long post and I am sure that there are answers to these questions somewhere in this forum too. I just wanted to see if there were any Frenchie specific answers I could get.

Many thanks

Feya's mum.

·
Registered
788 Posts
1. I'm not a fan of the pads at all, but why not put them in the area where you want her to go? By using them where they are, you're reinforcing that behavior. Then quickly get rid of them altogether.

2. If she's had her shots take her to open area markets or other places where she has to walk. That said, 4 month old puppies don't necessarily make for the best walkers. That takes time. Just be patient.

3. I"m not a fan of starting that food fickle behavior. If you're picking up her poop after she poops how would she be eating it?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I dont understand why you can take her for a walk but not to go potty because of shots?? Id just ditch the pads and take her out!~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seaboxador: thanks so much for getting back to my post.
1. I have been doing exactly that. Showing her the soiled pads and then taking them down with me and placing it in the desired area. She is reluctant to wee outside. I will be consistent with this and see how it goes. I have removed the pads altogehter from outside the door. Lets see how it goes.
2. She does go with us everywhere, markets, restaurants, friends places and she is great. Its just getting out of the building. I guess she will get over this and I am not too concerned as she is a super sociable puppy.
3. She is not eating a poo anymore and therefore I stopped adding the deterrent, however she is still erratic with her eating. She has access to plant of water and is fine.

Faithfurmom09: I could not take her out due to her shots and didn't until we got the all clear. During that time we did not take her out to poo and she used the pads. She can go out now and does poo but wee is the problem. I have ditched the pads at home now and am taking her out every time she shows signs, still no wee.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Could it potentially be a mix of being fussy from lack of pumpkin/pineapple and stress from going for a lot of outings if it coincides with her starting to go out.
Maybe try and weane her off the pumpkin slowly (Pumpkin is really good for the digestive system anyway). Also have breaks from the walks/outings once in a while to let her stress levels go down, small dogs can suffer from anxiety because everything is so big to them so a day or two rest with training inside will benefit them and maybe increase the dogs appetite.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey gingerwrinkle, thanks for getting back.

I could weane her off the pumpkin/pineapple and see if that works. However with taking breaks from outings, would that not confuse her? We would need to then re allow her to poo and pee on the pads just outside the main door. I still need to take her out everyday to be consistent with what we want her to do.

Totally understand about everything being BIG for her. When we take her out they are not huge outings. Usual errand running stuff that takes and hour or two tops.

We took her out just after getting up and as usual she popped in no time but still resisting weeing. We brought her home , left the harness on and watched her but she had an accident at home. It was too quick.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey gingerwrinkle, thanks for getting back.

I could weane her off the pumpkin/pineapple and see if that works. However with taking breaks from outings, would that not confuse her? We would need to then re allow her to poo and pee on the pads just outside the main door. I still need to take her out everyday to be consistent with what we want her to do.

Totally understand about everything being BIG for her. When we take her out they are not huge outings. Usual errand running stuff that takes and hour or two tops.

We took her out just after getting up and as usual she popped in no time but still resisting weeing. We brought her home , left the harness on and watched her but she had an accident at home. It was too quick.
Sorry wasn't clear! Potting etc is necessary so continue with that.

What I mean is daily outings, there is something called trigger stacking which basically means when your dog is stressed it takes a few days sometimes for the hormones that are produced to leave the system so if that's happening daily there's no time to recover so basically the stress levels stay higher than normal making your dogs stress threshold lower which CAN put dogs off food. Not always and it may just be the pumpkin issue starting roughly the same time but it's worth a try giving the dog a break for a day or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts