Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem with my puppy she has been doing fine but just out of nowhere she's biting like crazy and chewing everything up. I know that this is her teething period but it seems like she is getting a bit aggressive and I don't know what has caused it. We don't play tug with her, I take her for walks almost every day, we also do like trick exercises for treats and sometimes play fetch. She still has tons of energy after that while me on the other hand do not, I'm just getting frustrated and really need some advice. I love Shadow and don't plan to give her up I just need so guidance.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
We don't play tug with her, I take her for walks almost every day, we also do like trick exercises for treats and sometimes play fetch. She still has tons of energy after that
Dogs are an every day thing. Lack of proper everyday exercise can lead to chewing everything up.
When biting you or something she shouldn't be, redirect her attention to an appropriate item like a chewy bone or a toy. Overall, your dog should be getting regular, daily exercise. Sometimes doesn't cut it with most dogs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dogs are an every day thing. Lack of proper everyday exercise can lead to chewing everything up.
When biting you or something she shouldn't be, redirect her attention to an appropriate item like a chewy bone or a toy. Overall, your dog should be getting regular, daily exercise. Sometimes doesn't cut it with most dogs.
I agree, she needs the stimulation. I actually play tug with Luna everyday, walk her at least 2x a day for more than half an hour and stuff a bully stick into her puppy kong which I have her chew whilst I hold her kong so she can comfortably chew the end of the bully stick. They really need something that lasts a while and consequent exercising and routine, so good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't play tug with her because she gets really aggressive when we do it and she gets worse with how she acts. I don't live in town so there isn't a lot of room to walk her and don't have a fenced in yard to let her roam around in, and when we do play fetch she loses interest in it very quickly.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm not understanding the correlation between living in a town and having room to walk. I live in the suburbs, and when Hamilton is in a walky mood, we walk him around the side streets in the neighborhood, or take him to the park and walk him there. He also LOVES walking through the woods behind the house. When the weather is bad we play 'keep away' with him with one of us on one side of the room and the other as far away as possible and we throw or roll a ball back and forth and Hamilton runs back and forth between us. We also do this with "COME!" commands. Hamilton has lots of busy toys - a kong, a kong wobbler, a busy bottle, and he likes water bottles with kibbles in them to get back out again. My goal every day is to get him enough exercise to tire him out because he is so much easier to live with when he's had enough mental and physical stimulation!!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I don't live in town so there isn't a lot of room to walk her and don't have a fenced in yard to let her roam around in
I live in a rural area, and thankful for it. You can walk your dog anywhere, down the sidewalk, on gravel, in the ditch, though the forest, etc.
I don't have a fenced in yard either, not that roaming would do much good. Invest in a harness and a long lead or a tieout suitable for her weight, and let her get the giddy-up. They have tieout stakes that twist into the ground and have rings that spin all the way around so when the dog runs they can just keep going rather than be forced to go only one direction. Or string a line up, if you can. A strong cord or rope or something like that strung between two structures with the tieout on it so she can run/walk back and forth.
Of course you should supervise during all this, but it's better than nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts