Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 month old Newfie has stopped using her gravel area in the back yard with recent rains and even if it's not raining but the gravel is moist due to dew, she'll refuse to walk on it, and will just look at me when I use her "hurry up" command. If put out on her own, she will go elsewhere in the yard (on my veggie beds earth which are also wet). She will also go no problem when we are out on a walk and it's wet. If we get enough warmth that it dries out, she's OK using it again.

I've tried reintroducing her to the area, and getting her comfortable with at least walking on the area (using a "touch" command) but she's clearly reluctant (she'll take a treat but drop it when retreating from the area which I haven't seen her do before). I assume it's the texture/wetness under her feet and not something like the smell, although it seems a bit weird as she's OK in general walking/peeing on other wet surfaces.

Anyway, my main question is how do I, or can I, get her to use that area when it's wet? I've tried taking her to the area when it should be about time for her to need to go, but she won't and she's started holding off from peeing for really, really long periods of time which is a bit worrying (until I relent and take her for a walk). I tried being really encouraging/rewarding when it's dry and she uses it but there haven't been many of those days lately.

Matthew

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dogs would rather pee on a soft surface than a hard surface (horses are like this too FWIW).

I think they don't want it to splash and it looks like it will when it is wet.

I strongly suggest you do not make this an issue. If you do you can create a problem such as not wanting to pee near you or with you present. If you do not want her to pee in vegetable beds, fence them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts