Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy, almost 9 weeks, hasn't been wanting to leave her kennel for her nighttime potty trip. I have been taking her out at night one time, usually around 2:30a. The last few nights she hasn't come out of her kennel like she normally does. She usually bolts out! Any idea why? I can't seem to find an answer. I am hesitant to eliminate the nighttime potty trip right now because she always pees and poos on the trip. I'm afraid she might soil her kennel if I don't take her out!

Also, when she is playing, she will sometimes crouch, growl, and lunge at my face.. No doesn't work, nor does saying hey or et et. I'm not sure how to get that under control. I've also tried yelping do she knows doing that scares me..

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
She's a baby and pups at any time can and will do silly stuff, pick her up and carry her outside. Silly stuff usually passes also pups can go through fear stages where something they've seen or done one day all of a sudden scares them. Don't make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never done anything to scare her. I do not physically punish her, and I only yell when she goes for my face. I have also never used the kennel as punishment. I want it to be her happy place.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I have never done anything to scare her. I do not physically punish her, and I only yell when she goes for my face. I have also never used the kennel as punishment. I want it to be her happy place.
Was not saying you scared pup, life in general can scare them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is weird that she only doesn't want to come out of her kennel during the night time. She must not want to go outside, but I do not want her going potty in her kennel! Should I lure her out with a small treat? Or would that be reversing the progress I've made buy luring her in her kennel with a treat?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Just pick her up and take her out. It shouldn't be that big a deal. As wvasko said, puppies do silly things, or get scared of, well, anything, shadows, noises, anything. Don't overthink it, and just take her out.

OR, don't take her out, let her try sleeping through the night without taking her out. But, really, don't make a big deal out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts