Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog that has grown up with having the ease of a doggie door. She took to potty training very quickly. I got her as a puppy and she's 3 years old now. She wont go to the bathroom anywhere except her own backyard. Any suggestions? She knows what "go potty" means and even if I chant that on a walk she wont go. I've taken her camping and she went about 24hrs without going to the bathroom. She finally went in the morning because she obviously couldn't hold it anymore. Same thing happened when I took her to stay at my boyfriend's house. She didnt go until many hours passed and she couldn't hold it anymore. She doesnt have accidents but she is very restless all night long and I get concerned about her getting a bladder infection. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
This is one of the main reasons why I want my dogs to learn early on how to potty both on and off lead, and on a variety of surfaces.

Really, about the only you can do is wait her out and then reward like crazy when she goes somewhere other than her own yard. You will probably have to limit access to the yard at home, and only take her on walks for a while until she learns that it's okay to potty in other places.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You may not be able to try it, but I once had luck with a dog that wouldn't go on leash by taking her with another dog who would. Having a full bladder and seeing/smelling another dog urinating gave her the idea, and of course I rewarded both. After that breakthrough she was fine.

With a puppy who wouldn't go away from home, I just waited and worried. After she gave in once, the second time came sooner, and she was over it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Like others have said, you basically have to wait them out. When they can't hold it anymore and they do go, make sure to praise and reward with awesome treats! The next time will be easier, just make sure to keep rewarding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts