Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...My 3 yr old Lhasa Mix rescue (4 months now) has always been a total food hound. Goes crazy and I had to get one of the balls for his dish to slow him down.

He is currently eating Wellness simple lamb & Rice due to allergies. He gets 1/2 cup 2x daily and a heaping tablespoon of can food 2x, also wellness simple or the pure lamb.

He eats the can food first as he likes that better I believe, but usually then gobbles up the kibble.

A new behavior since Friday is he will eat the can food no problem, shows signs of licking the bowl clean and he never did this until the kibble was gone, but will not eat the kibble if I am not in the room with him and eats it slow once I am. Strange.

I assumed this behavior was because on Thursday I feed him his dinner and then left and no one was home for a short period. I usually give him about 6-7 kibbles buried in his tree truck with squirrels right when I walk out the door and it works like a charm, but this time I had to leave and it was dinner time so I did that instead. 1st time I did that.

But Now I wonder if he is just snubbing the kibble. Cause he will eat it if I am in the room but very slowly. Because he thinks if he eats slow I won't go anywhere????

If you think this is the case, then how would I train him to eat without me in the same room as him?

I just leave it and he eventually eats it all when I go back into the kitchen, but it will screw the poop schedule up! And with us humans being on a schedule for work, it's important to keep this in check.

He is acting normal otherwise and when I leave does not bark or exhibit bad behavior, never has.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I know my dog prefers wet/refrigerated over kibble, so I feed her the kibble first and if she doesn't finish it she won't get her Vital refrigerated food.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....

I gave him the kibble first this am then the wet food and it seemed to work well. But just now I forgot that I was switching and had the same issue, but a bit different. He would eat the kibble, but take it in the other room, chew it and periodically come back for more. So them I put it in his? spinny toy that hide the treats so he had to work for them and he did much better, finished, but this whole process took 20 minutes instead of the normal 1 minute.

Also he pooped in the bedroom last night about 2-3 hours after going poop outside, didn't go poop this am after he ate, waited another 1.5 hours and no go. Well at some point a few hours later did poop in the bedroom again! 1st time ever pooping in the house.

Geez I thought maybe I had figured him out, upset tummy thus eating slow, needed to get extra poop out, but now he's got me all confused!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would switch to once a day feeding (really more natural for dogs) and just wait him out. Offer him his food and leave him for 15 min. If he doesn't eat it all, take it up and offer it again in 24 hours. Unlike cats, there is really no risk with fasting a dog--they are set up to gorge and fast and can fast for DAYS with no ill effect. He'll be fine. Just don't cater to him! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts