Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder if anyone can clear something up for us...

About seventeen years ago, we adopted Shepherd mix from a city shelter. What little info they had on him, incidentally, turned out to be for the wrong dog, so we really know nothing of his background, except that he was about 5 months old at time of adoption. He had behavior issues typical of an unsocialized puppy, turned very destructive in the house, and started a howling problem the elderly dogs raised with him still exhibit to this day. He was EXTREMELY well trained, very responsive to training as well, but could at times be unpredictable. Weighed about 65lbs, had unusually long legs, a strange rear gait that I couldn't place (and I've handled more than a few different breeds), and some trouble with most brands of kibble and even home cooked. He seemed to have different nutritional requirements even from the German Shepherds I've worked with and needed to have at least partial raw. He was not typically an aggressive dog and though he lived to be about 16, growled at one person and a few dogs; his growl was not a "grrrr", but more like something from The Exorcist.

More than a few people remarked that he resembled a wolf when he got older and his coat filled out. I had one groomer I'd used for years refuse to take him, but we never really took it seriously, believed he was a GSD/pit bull/? mix. Incidentally, I've met two wolf hybrids in my time. They were both timber wolf mixed with husky, they were classic grey/white in color, and their mix was unmistakable. A friend actually sent me a wolfdog picture a few months ago that almost knocked me over from the resemblance. I'd never seen a black hybrid before, and really started to wonder. Now, I seem to see black wolfdog videos every time I log on to YouTube, and I am getting curious. My dog died a few years back, but would be interested to know if anyone who has more experience with hybrids than I do can see any wolf in him, or is it just a figment of my imagination? We were contemplating a wolfdog at one point, and still might want one in the future, which is one reason I'm so curious to know if we may have already had one. I don't have many pics of him uploaded on this computer, but found one from about 5yrs old and a second the day before he died about a month shy of 16yrs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
That is a dog.

The white patches on his belly and paw indicate dog. Destructive, wary, howling, and other issues you described are not exclusive to wolf dogs, they pop up regularly in regular old dogs, too.

I'm no wolf dog expert, mind, but that is most certainly a dog!

I've also found that the vast majority of people online claiming they have a wolf dog don't really have a wolf dog. They have a dog that happens to looks like a stoic GSD mixed with a husky and some other wolf-looking breeds, but they like the hits and praise on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Dog. Mostly German Shepherd dog. Maybe a little Smooth Border Collie or even Pointer or some sort of Lab-Shepherd mix in there.

I have a solid black GSD, so they do come in black.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I know all about black GSDs and figured he was that mixed with pitbull/something else. If there was wolfdog, I would have been more inclined to believe it was a few generations back, and not that he was a full F1 hybrid. The hybrids I recently saw had the white chest/paw, which was why the resemblance seemed to startling. Too bad I never kept back a lock of hair from him, though ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I know all about black GSDs and figured he was that mixed with pitbull/something else. If there was wolfdog, I would have been more inclined to believe it was a few generations back, and not that he was a full F1 hybrid. The hybrids I recently saw had the white chest/paw, which was why the resemblance seemed to startling. Too bad I never kept back a lock of hair from him, though ;)
If they have a white chest and white paws....someone is pulling your leg, or they are much, much closer to a domesticated dog than a wolf and really not deserving of the word "hybrid."

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yeah, that's a dog. Handsome dog. No traits that aren't easily explained by some Heinz 57 dog ingredient and/or early neglect.

He looks a lot like my dad's black GSD/mutt cross.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts