Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Responding to your question? I thought that's what you wanted. Had you come in and said something along the lines of just want to mention that it is hard to tell how high of a percentage a hybrid is by a picture, if any so be careful and just know they definitely aren't for just anyone, not only would I have agreed with you I wouldn't have felt like I had to prove anything. The way you approached it was like I had lied and I know I haven't and don't want others thinking I have. You have made it clear you think they are just dogs, fine, I really don't care. It has nothing to do with my wanting to share cute stories. I think I'm being responsible letting people know they aren't for everyone.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
When I was at the wolf park, the gentleman that helped me asked if I was going to register saber, I said no and wouldn't know how even if I wanted. He then told me about the USPCA, so sorry, I thought he would know but as I said I wasn't interested so I didn't check them out. When I got him the previous people had something they called blue papers and said its all I needed to register him, since I wasn't interested I didn't take them. Two years later when I got my husky they gave me blue papers so naturally I figured that's what they were referring to. I didn't register her either.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think people are concerned because there are a lot of people out there who claim to have high-content wolfdogs, but really just have huskies, malamutes or mixes. They go around telling everyone that their well-behaved, friendly dogs are high-content wolfdogs, and then other people get the impression that wolfdogs make great, easy-to-own pets. Those people go out and find themselves an actual high-content wolfdog and are woefully unprepared for what happens next. Our friends on this forum help rescue wolfdogs that people like that couldn't handle, and they know a ton about them.
Ditto :)

(too short)

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Crantastic I have no doubt you may be right about the intentions of merchant but the only thing that they seem to comment on is what my dogs look like. I'm sorry to say just because you have friends on here that might be qualified to evaluate a dog in person, I do not believe anyone can just from a picture, it does not mean that they can do it. As I said had they approached it differently this forum wouldn't still have this tone.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hybrid is incorrect actually, they are wolf dogs.

I was a wildlife rehabilitator for many years and the human society called new out to an abuse case. There were two abandoned wolf dogs in a cage, the owner had moved and left them. The female likely starved to death, Thea male was eating her carcass. The cage didn't even have a door, and the male was old, so I guess he hadn't been out in years.

We sedated him, he was extremely aggressive, crated him and kept him secured in a trailer for about three weeks. Non native wildlife is either considered exotic or in this case a dog, so our state wildlife rules did not apply. Anyway wolf park in Indiana agreed to take him after sending pictures they thought he was full or high percentage. I'm sure he since passed, as that was probably ten years ago.

Many people think they have wolf dog mixes, when they are probably not. Wild animals do not make good pets, and most are skittish and unpredictable. The higher the percentage of wolf the more likely to have their behaviors. Definitely takes a certain type and experiences person to own one as a pet. Personally I don't see why anyone would want to keep a wild animal as a pet, or mix them with dogs. I just don't think it is fair to the animal.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good for you Musherchic, you have a healthy attitude about training yourself. Sorry this forum got so far off topic.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Lakota was born 9/17/2001 to a female named Sasha. I will never forget as it was six days after 9/11. Saber was born 6/28/1994 all I know about chase is it was Feb of 2005 like I said he was a rescue so I'm not sure. Kili, my husky, was 10/10/1996. Not exactly sure what it matters. I was serious when I said all I wanted to do was share cute stories. I shouldn't have to keep talking about whether or not my dogs are hybrids. It has nothing to do with anything. If you don't like my dogs or how they look you are more than welcome to stop implying that I have lied. That is the only reason I have humored you this far. Believe what you want, I have asked too many professionals who were looking at my dogs in person, not just a picture.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Were you told if ether of Sabers parents were full wolf (assuming one was supposed to be since you said Saber is supposed to be 75% wolf right?) I'm trying to get the whole picture here on how the genetics were decided on.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Were you told if ether of Sabers parents were full wolf (assuming one was supposed to be since you said Saber is supposed to be 75% wolf right?) I'm trying to get the whole picture here on how the genetics were decided on.
When I picked him up I was shown papers on both parents. They said both were 75% so that made him the same. I was told they had the papers to register him too but I wasn't interested. This was 17 years ago so I don't remember much about any of the papers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm sorry but a animal that is 75% plus is considered a high content, and a high content is going to look it. None of the animals you have pictured look to have any wolf content in them what so ever. The pics of the animals you have shared look pure blooded dog.

The registeries that register wolfdogs are worthless, you can register anything there claiming it something when its not. I know one person registered a pig as a wolfdog and they actually sent him the paperwork on it. I did my own little experiment as proof with a registery. I will share copies of the registered papers and pics of the animals. Loki and Selene are obviously high content wolfdogs, and notice, that they look it. Max the lower one is a very low content wolfdog, he is mostly husky and not even worth mentioning the word wolf when it comes to him. But I managed to get them to send me paperwork on Selene and Loki calling them Native american Indian dogs and got Max registered as a pure blooded husky. I did this to prove how the registeries out there are in the U.S. aside from AKC.

Selene

Loki

Max

Sorry but your breeder misrepresented the animal when he sold him to you, this happens very often in the wolfdog world. Breeders think they can make a extra buck if they claim the animal is something they are not and end up ripping the newer people who do not know what to look for in the wolfdogs and they end up with something that is nothing more then a shepard malamute mix and thing its a high content wolfdog.
Here are some websites where you can read on what to look for in the animals
http://texx-wolf-tails.webs.com/highcontentwolfdogs.htm

http://www.cottonwoodz.com/breeding/search4.htm

http://www.cottonwoodz.com/breeding/beware.htm

http://wolfechovalley.tripod.com/paws4thought.html

Plus a very good forum full of wolfdog owners that are very knowledgable of these things also
http://wolfdogforum.com/forum/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Story..? Hmm..
A few current stories from the wolfdog rescue I volunteer at called Howling Woods Farm.

Found in Ohio, tied to a post. Sweet as can be. Currently in a rescue, happy playing with other wolfdog and dogs in an acre big enclosure. His name is Chante which means "heart" in Lakota.

Okay, heres an interesting one. Found with a collar and chain around her neck was found wandering the streets in Brooklyn, NY on December 20, 2011. Wolfdogs are illegal in NY so I picked her up and brought her to Howling Woods. I named her Winona and she is such a good girl!! Had to laugh at a few of the articles online about a "dangerous" wolfdog in NY.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Its a lot of work owning a higher content animal, its by no means easy.
A true high content is going to act more like a wolf then a dog. One good luck trying to keep a high content in the house, it would get bored and eat the inside of your house.
You're going to have to own a special enclosure for a high content, as they can jump at least 8 ft straight up in the air from a standing position, so you will need something at least 8 ft. tall possibly with lean ins or hot wire even installed, they can not be kept in a wood fence or regular chain link either as they can easily eat threw them, you will need a stronger guage (for ex. my enclosure is made out of cattle pannels which is 4 guage). You will also have to have dig guard as they can simply dig out with no problem.
They also tend to be very skittish of strangers, so if they have not been worked with majorly to stop this from happening, forget taking them to public places or even on simple walks.
They can have a high prey drive towards smaller animals, but then again so do some regular dogs.
You also can not just feed them any type of kibble, as they can not handle it, they will get major diarrhea off of them and it would slowly kill them. They must have a high protein high fat food with no Corn, soy or wheat in it. Anything purchased from walmarts a no no. Plus they need raw.
When they have something they want, you better forget trying to take it from them its they'res. The only thing you can do is try trading them something for it.
Not all but most end up getting major car sickness.
Females alot of the time end up other female aggressive and once they do the animals have to be sperated for life.
Also this is another that can happen with highs, not all but it is fairly common. WWS (winter wolf syndrome) with an intact animal come breeding time the animals can go threw a serious change. The hormones are flying and it can get ugly. The animal will become mean and not even let you enter the enclosure, so if one was even thinking about having a high and keeping it intact then you better have a way of feeding and watering without entering that enclosure during that period. Once its over in a couple months the animals go right back to normal being they're sweet loving selves. Luckily this has not happened with my two (knock on wood) but I have heard plenty of stories about it. Here's a link to one of those stories http://wolfdogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84
Anything you have around them they will destroy, kiddie pools wont last a day, same with balls and etc. Water hoses, they'll grab right away and put holes in them.

I'm sure i left out a lot of things, i'll add more as I think more about it. I've gotten used to my animals so sometimes i think its normal, lol

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
If you join an actual wolfdog forum full of experts, you are going to be much more offended by what they have to say than you are by the people here. No one has been rude to you. If you want to go on believing your dogs are high-content wolfdogs, that's fine. But it's dangerous for you to misrepresent these pets as true high-contents, because it gives people a very false impression of what wolfdogs are like. A true high-content cannot live as a housepet.

·
Registered
515 Posts
No one said you had to believe what i said, heck why dont you join the wolfdog forum that has 100's of owners on it and ask they're opinion. But I'm confident enough in what i said that i am willing to bet money that you will hear the same thing there from several people

http://wolfdogforum.com

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Thank you Cindy that is very informative. Very beautiful animals you have too! I have never owned one, nor want too lol. It is a very different lifestyle.

I have malinois, which I try to convince people they are not for most. However they are exceptional dogs for the right owners.

To the OP, many people sell dogs they claim to be wolf mixes. Or say they are higher percent than is true. I am not saying yours are not, however the behavior and looks speak volumes. You have beautiful animals, and I think the only point here is many people would think living with a wolf dog is easy from reading the post. That isn't the case, and to help protect them from getting in the wrong hands it really should be stated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
aww, people don't agree with you so time to move on? LOL, lots of luck in finding those people. Wait, you may find them but they probably won't know what they're talking about so will agree with you. Good bye.
Its really a shame he has to be like that also. If he would stick around and listen to the people who know what they're talking about then he could learn the truth about these animals and what to look for if he ever decided he wanted another one. And the next time he would know what to look for and not get taken and have the same thing happen all over again. This happens really often in the wolfdog world and its nothing to be ashamed of really. Heck I had it even happen to me with my first wolfdog. I didnt know what i was looking at and believed my breeder and was sold this female (Nya) as a 97.5% wolfdog. I too was upset at first about it but stuck around to listen to what other wolfdog people had to say and teach so that I wouldnt have it happen to me again. I ended up making tons of friends and even ended up getting my high content female Selene given to me as a gift from one of the people that was teaching me.

Below is Nya

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.