Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20170416_114603.jpg 20170624_134703.jpg 20170724_192225.jpg 20171004_204931.jpg Screenshot_20171004-220255.jpg Snapchat-1207406880.jpg [/ATTACH]

I want to figure out what kind of mix my boyfriend's dog, Ronin, is. He adopted him about a year ago from a husky rescue after he had been seized from an abusive home. He was told he is a husky but his vet said he might be a hybrid (I am not so sure). He is very timid around people, especially men but I'm sure that is from his previous home, he is more comfortable with women. I'm thinking there might be German Shepherd in him from his coloring. Anyone have any thoughts? some breeds I've seen that are similar looking - Norwegian Elkhound mixes, Shepherd/Husky mix, Czechoslovakian Wolfdog

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
He doesn't look like the few wolf mixes that I've seen. A husky-GSD mix can be timid, but relatively calm around people at some distance. The wolf-dogs always wanted to get out of sight ... AND they would never break eye contact at any distance ... they did not have the gaze of a pet. Also, wolf dogs never seemed interested in playing with people.

·
Super Moderator
7,306 Posts
Looks like a Husky/GSD mix to me. I don't see any wolf in him. There's a couple of genuine wolf dog owners in the forum, though they haven't been very active lately, hopefully they'll see this and chime in.

·
Registered
392 Posts
He's lovely, whatever he is!

I will chime in and say I have seen wolf mixes that don't fit hanksimon's description, but they were also taken in by a rescue that specializes in retraining and correctly homing them, so the amount of work put into them may be part of it.

But with that said, there was a purebred husky in Quill's puppy class that looked just like Ronin, and I've seen GSD x Husky dogs that look like him as well. How big is he?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Definitely some sort of Husky/GSD mix. Which is a good thing. Depending on where you're located, hybrids may be illegal or you may need a special license to own one. Be happy he's just a regular dog!

·
Registered
104 Posts
this is my husky mix keely i saw a wolf with the exact same coloring at wolf rescue but she was over 100 pounds and my keely was 50 pounds thats what i love about the husky mix you get a wolf dog without the baggage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts