Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wisdom Panel says:
25% Wolf
25% Am Staff Terrier
25% Husky/Malamute
25% Random Herding Breed

This dog is owned by someone I know. 50 lbs. Never woulda believed it.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
I've noticed this a LOT with embark results (I'm on that FB group). Not that I don't believe them but there are way more dogs floating around with small amounts of wolf than I'd have expected - and a lot of dogs that we, on the forum, would have said "NO WAY" about previously, based on lack of traits typically associated with wolf dogs. Interesting stuff!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Interesting.
One of our local news casters decided to DNA their mixed breed rescue. In the interest of new stories, she tested her dog with (at the time) 4 different organizations (are there more than 4 now? At the time there were 4). This was sometime in 2015 as I recall.

Every one of the results was DIFFERENT. They all had "labrador retriever" but the rest of the breeds were all over the map and none had percentages that matched.

I would love to see this owner test the dog with two other organizations if they have the $$. I bet different things would come up.

http://news.vin.com/vinnews.aspx?articleId=23206

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it would be interesting to test with other companies too. Still, I've learned to keep my guesses lighthearted and never place any bets ;)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. The dog is beautiful. I love the coloring too.
I think so too! My friend really wanted the dog to be a Dutch Shepherd or working shepherd of some kind.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That dog might work just fine. He needs to see a good training decoy and be exposed to tracking and so forth to see.

I know of a K9 (now retired) who was imported from Holland. Mixed up bunch of breeds. I think it has Pit in there along with Malinois.. but hard to tell. He took down a few bad guys and his tracking was terrific. His handler trained with us a few times and this is the sort of dog that would go up 10 flights on a Fire Escape to apprehend and if the suspect dangled the dog over the side, the dog would not let go.. (if we fall and die we ALL fall and die was this dog's motto). A true force to be reckoned with. Had good foundation with good training helper in Holland and this was followed up by someone top of the line here in the US.

You never know until you try.. I have seen sleepy non committal dogs ignore the decoy and then one day.. it all changes. Be interesting to see if this dog (and I BELIEVE Dog) shows interest.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure he can do whatever he wants with this dog! To be clear, he does not do working dog stuff. He is a pet dog owner. He just wanted a "working line dog". And he was calling this dog a "working line dog" before getting the DNA tested. The dog was adopted from a Southern state shelter, unknown history, so I don't think the label is quite correct. But he loves this dog and that's all that matters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts