Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was a women claiming her dog was a malamute/wolf cross at the dog park today. I was fooled at first but I think he looks pretty close to pure malamute..
What do you guys think?
Here's a few pics and a video of 'Shadow'
(Also, I hope no one takes it the wrong way when my little sister tell's hallie to stay away from him, she just didn't want her dog to get eaten by a big bad wolf! :rolleyes:)

I was suprised the owner was advertising her dog was a wolf since everything in the dog community is tense around her with the oncoming BSL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not as well educated with "bigger" breeds, so I don't have much to comment about if I think he is or isn't etc.

I just wanted to comment on a few things...Let's say he Is in fact part wolf, I don't know how I feel about people first of all bringing their Wold Mixes to dog parks..I guess it depends on the percentage of Wolf and personality etc. but still. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about people advertising that their dog is a wolf mix. On one side I understand, you just wnat to inform peopel for their own benefit..but on the other hand..if you trust the dog enough to have it there, why start a buzz by bringing up that it's part wolf, ya know?

That's just my opinion..I've never been in the situation, so it's hard to say..but yeah! lol Sorry for adding my 2 cents! haha

Thanks for the video though! Fun to watch!

ps, both of your pups are WAY too cute! My girl Duchess was born ina puppy mill as well :(

ps

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think that people just like something to claim. I mean, what sells better on craigslist... "husky mix" or "wolf mix"? Anybody can own a husky, right? But who can own a wolf??

We have a TON of 'wolf mixes' at our local dog park. One is actually so inconspicuous that it looks exactly like a malamute mix. Granted, she is a beautiful dog, but I just don't see the wolf.

That dog recently mated (at the park) with another 'wolf mix' and had ten 'super wolf mix' puppies. One female from the litter was given to another girl with a 'wolf mix' that is not fixed in hopes that she herself can start her own 'wolf mix' family.

I highly doubt any of the dogs are mixed with any wolf. I start to wonder if these people actually know what a wolf looks like.

Oh yes, here is a young Sierra with that wolf mix.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not as well educated with "bigger" breeds, so I don't have much to comment about if I think he is or isn't etc.

I just wanted to comment on a few things...Let's say he Is in fact part wolf, I don't know how I feel about people first of all bringing their Wold Mixes to dog parks..I guess it depends on the percentage of Wolf and personality etc. but still. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about people advertising that their dog is a wolf mix. On one side I understand, you just wnat to inform peopel for their own benefit..but on the other hand..if you trust the dog enough to have it there, why start a buzz by bringing up that it's part wolf, ya know?

That's just my opinion..I've never been in the situation, so it's hard to say..but yeah! lol Sorry for adding my 2 cents! haha

Thanks for the video though! Fun to watch!

ps, both of your pups are WAY too cute! My girl Duchess was born ina puppy mill as well :(

ps
Yeah from what I've heard about wolfdogs or the pure actual wild animals is they are definitely not dog park material. They are territorial and not the most social creatures.

Thanks :) I love my babies! Yeah puppy mills suck...really hard on the dogs.

I think that people just like something to claim. I mean, what sells better on craigslist... "husky mix" or "wolf mix"? Anybody can own a husky, right? But who can own a wolf??

We have a TON of 'wolf mixes' at our local dog park. One is actually so inconspicuous that it looks exactly like a malamute mix. Granted, she is a beautiful dog, but I just don't see the wolf.

That dog recently mated (at the park) with another 'wolf mix' and had ten 'super wolf mix' puppies. One female from the litter was given to another girl with a 'wolf mix' that is not fixed in hopes that she herself can start her own 'wolf mix' family.

I highly doubt any of the dogs are mixed with any wolf. I start to wonder if these people actually know what a wolf looks like.

Oh yes, here is a young Sierra with that wolf mix.
Wow! This is the first 'wolf mix' I've actually encountered. There are a ton of adds in the paper advertising for timber wolf/gsd crosses all the time. Aw she's a cute little 'wolf' lol! Definitely see alot of malamute in her. Sierra looks happy to be friends with a wolf! Yeah, this guy looked alot like a malamute too. I just don't see the point in advertising your dog as a wolf especially when there's BSL moving like crazy! All malamute, GSD, pit, staffy, and Akita owners are on high alert around here and then this lady comes in the dog park screaming "Wolf!" like an idoit. Not to mention her dog was avidly humping every dog around!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The one you encountered at the dog park is debatable, very possibly low-content (I'm surprised by the length and narrowness of the muzzle, but she looks almost completely Malamute to me otherwise). The one in the picture with a GSD? Absolutely NO wolf in that dog whatsoever. :)

You are so right when you say that people need something to claim, and that they get so hung up on believing their animals are wolfdogs that they forget what the real deal looks like...

That's really, really sad.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one you encountered at the dog park is debatable, very possibly low-content (I'm surprised by the length and narrowness of the muzzle, but she looks almost completely Malamute to me otherwise). The one in the picture with a GSD? Absolutely NO wolf in that dog whatsoever. :)

You are so right when you say that people need something to claim, and that they get so hung up on believing their animals are wolfdogs that they forget what the real deal looks like...

That's really, really sad.
Wow! I thought the face looked wolfish but then I looked at a few malamutes and he looked alot like them. He was a good behaving boy except for the humping. She didn't say where she got him or what type of wolf was in him she also had a shiba/chow mix. He was huge! Definitely malamute sized.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yeah, it's very hard to say. The muzzle really is throwing me off, but it could also be the angle of the pics. Malamutes, at least the ones I have seen, have much blockier and shorter muzzles generally. But that dog could have been a mix of other things, not necessarily wolf. Hard to peg that one, if anything it would be very very low content.

EDIT: I went back and watched the video you posted - in the video he looks MUCH more Malamute to me. Movement, body language, everything says "Mal", not "wolf".

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't know if it really is part wolf or not, but if I had a dog that looked like that, I'd go around telling everyone it's part wolf, too.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Seeing as how 95% of the time, a wolf will EAT a dog if they ever meet one, I wouldn't want any wolf/dog hybrid running free in a dog park. o_O

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm no expert but I own a Husky and her face/muzzle doesn't look ANYTHING like that... Thats the only part that strikes me as "wolfish".

·
Registered
267 Posts
he looks malamute to me except for the face, but that can easly be a mix with another dog breed or he could just be a mal with a long narrow muzzle.

We had a malamute when I was little but thinking back on it he could have been a wolf hybrid. He didn't have fluffy hair like a mal it was rather flat and corse. But he was also extremely territorial, he killed several cats and a few small dogs and had even threatened to bite me a couple of times and once he actually did. After my dad left my mom couldn't handle him and took him to the pound. But he really did not need to be around people or other animals.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Where is the evidence for this, I would like to see some.
Um, it happens all the time. In the wild, wolves see dogs as food or nuisances. They don't treat them like equals or potential mates in a normal situation, they kill them most of the time.

Google is your friend. It is documented in many different books, as well. Also, in areas like Alaska, it is a common news story. If you still doubt it, just do some research on it, it's not hard to verify.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pai is correct. Wolves hunt domesticated dogs. They have a female approach the outskirts of a neighborhood and leave pheromones. The male dogs in the area FREAK OUT and will almost knock a fence down to get to the scent. Once the dogs get out the female wolf leads them into an ambush of 4 or 5 males. They aren't seen as equals they're seen as prey.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Seeing as how 95% of the time, a wolf will EAT a dog if they ever meet one, I wouldn't want any wolf/dog hybrid running free in a dog park. o_O
True or not... HUNGRY wolf in the wild, encountering unsupervised dog, does not equal socialized, well-fed wolfdog in a dog park under supervision.

I have met dozens of wolfdogs (from low-content, to nearly pure wolf), and not a single one of them wanted to eat "regular" dogs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lets clarify if we're talking about wolves or wolf-hybrids because there are big differences...and yes I've seen well-fed hybrids attack and kill smaller dogs and cats.But thats not to say that with the right training and supervision they wouldn't do this.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It's all about the socialization. When exposed to cats and small dogs at a young age and raised with them, the chances of this happening go down significantly. Same as with any typically prey-driven dog. Not to say it CAN'T happen, just that with proper socializing the chances are slim. I'm not necessarily advocating wolfdogs being at a dog park - but it's silly to think that because a wild hungry wolf would attack or eat a dog, that an owned wolfdog would do the same, at a dog park nonetheless.

·
Registered
265 Posts
well put...I think 95% of it is up to the owner socializing the animal and keeping them well-balanced.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
To me, that's a wolf dog mix. I only say that becasue I went to an Indian Reservation and they had two wolves with them, one was pure and the other was mixed with a malamute. He looked exactly like the one in your video/pictures except a bit bigger.

I think wolf mixes are cool and wolves are too as they're my favorite wild animal, and I think I would like to be informed if one was just because you hear different things about them and would want to watch over your own dog just in case.

Nice pictures by the way. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
To me it does look like a wolf mix, as I've known people who've had them. The nose is a bit more narrower than that of the Malamute breed and also her marking look like that of a wolf. I know, Malamutes and Huskies of wolf like markings and colorings but this one looks a little different.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts