Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to begin ...
Loki has recently decided its better to poop in the basement then it is outside. Only in the last two weeks. Before this we had Zero accidents in the house for months ...

We have tried training him to stay away from the stairs -- to avoid him going down at all -- but the second we look away (making dinner, bathroom etc) he runs down and poops. EVEN if he had just been out and pooped not 5 minutes before.

Gone back to basics ... on a leash, running outside the second I think he has to go, treats when he goes outside. When he does go in the basement its a scolding and out the door... clean up with vinegar (its carpet)

I am at a loss ... hes 6 months old now and I know around this age they can have st backs ... is this all it is? What more can I do to train him not to go in the basement? The only logical solution for me at this point is to put up a door so he can't get down there at all.

I am really frustrated at the moment .... we have booked puppy classes for him for other reasons but I don't think it will address this issue.

I will try anything at this point.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Child safety gate if you don't want to put up a door. the kind made for top-of-stairs that is hinged (not tension).

And of course, the potty training back to basics you are doing. If he is free-fed, set meal times will help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked into Gates ... they are more expensive than a door and we need one with a cat door because the littler boxes are down there so add another $20 for that ... we are just going to move a door off a room in the basement we dont use and cut a cat door into it. I feel like my house it turning into the home of Tim the Tool Man Taylor. Or Macgyver.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
He is probably using the basement because he doesn't think of it as part of the "home."

In addition to the gate/door, I would feed him down there and maybe train him down there. Highly supervised. Build a mental "file" for your pup that reminds him that the basement is part of the home.

Don't freak out! This is normal!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is probably using the basement because he doesn't think of it as part of the "home."

In addition to the gate/door, I would feed him down there and maybe train him down there. Highly supervised. Build a mental
a"file" for your pup that reminds him that the basement is part of the home.

Don't freak out! This is normal!
hmm you could be onto something, ever since we got him we have avoided the basement to allow it to be the cats space. But if we feed and train down there maybe it will be rid of that certain "curiosity". Let the games begin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts