Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
you all probably know by now that those "doggy dna tests" are pretty much a scam. unfortunately many, including me, had the test done on their dog. (gullible is now tattooed on my forehead :redface: ) i thought it'd be fun for people who have had it run on their dog, to post the results.

i had the test run on my dog in 2008, when it was still somewhat new. it was the blood panel one, with the most breeds in it. to show how ridiculous the results are. rofl

hershey, circa 2007/08:

the Wisdom Panel results:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Why, yes, I see the Cav in him clearly! Not to mention all those Dalmatian traits he has. LOL. I could believe the Lab and maybe FCR but not the rest (well, maybe a trace of Shar-Pei. . .but not much).

I didn't have my dogs tested with Wisdom. Just one of the cheek-swab tests (BioPet). And I don't have the papers with me so I can't remember everything exactly. Anyway, I did 2 of my dogs and my mom's 2 dogs. . .

Toby looks like a big hairy golden/brown mutt. 85 pounds. Has a black "saddle" so GSD was suspected. Some black spots on his tongue. His test came back as level 3: GSD and Afghan Hound, level 4: Chow, level 5: Boxer, Scottish Terrier and Golden Retriever. I can totally believe GSD, Chow, Boxer, and Golden (more than a trace), from his looks and personality. But Afghan? I've never even SEEN an Afghan in real life, I don't think they're going around breeding willy-nilly with inner-city strays. And I don't see any Scottie in him at all.

Penny is tri-colored with blue eyes. 50 pounds. Very long thick fur, like a Rough Collie's coat. I originally thought Border Collie or Aussie mix. Or GSD. . .I've seen some GSDs with faces like hers. Her test came back as Level 3: Siberian Husky, German Shorthaired Pointer and Great Pyrenees, level 5: Keeshond and Shih Tzu. OK, I guess I can live with all of those breeds, except Shih Tzu, LOL. She like to retrieve, I guess maybe that's the GSP.

Shug is black and white with single-coat long hair and "grinch feet". About 40 pounds. Her test came back: Level 2: Australian Shepherd, level 4: Springer Spaniel, Collie, GSD, Great Pyrenees, and Weimaraner. We now tell everyone she's Aussie/Springer. . .the rest are just ridiculous.

And Miracle's results are the funniest yet. She's a slim black dog, very thin short fur, looks like a sighthound of some sort. About 30 pounds. Hers came back as level 4: Beagle, level 5: Rottweiler, Great Pyrenees, Newfoundland, and Collie. I mean, really? I was expecting maybe Lab/Italian Greyhound or something.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I think they're a bummer. I remember back in the day being really excited about them until I saw how ridiculous the results are. I always wanted to run one on Magpie and Smalls. Smalls is a mutt that is pretty clear cut in my mind. She looks like an over sized black Beagle. Magpie is so goofy looking I always wonder. Her black and tan coat makes me naively say GSD, but a lot of people feel she looks very ACD structurally. She also has a big meaty muzzle.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I think it's a license to steal, Geeze you can get the same guesstimates from your local Vet which are usually also off the mark. I think they are afraid to say they just don't know.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I would like to see what it says about a purebred dog... That would be the true test of its legitimacy for me.
They say they don't recommend testing purebreds, because the test will be looking for multiple breeds and you'll probably get results you weren't looking for. They say it'll pick up the breeds that breed was "made" from. I woudl like ot see if that's true.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I would like to see what it says about a purebred dog... That would be the true test of its legitimacy for me.
We had it done to our mix mutt and our purebred English Mastiff.
Our English Mastiff came back he had a Newfoundland parent, and German Shepherd grandparent. lol!
For the record when we got him his parents AND grandparent's were on site. They were 100% English Mastiff.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't know what I did with the paper, but Buff came back:
12%-25% Old English Sheepdog
12%-25% Chow Chow
12%-25% Shetland Sheepdog

We did the cheek swab from Wisdom Panel. When I questioned the results, they asked me to send a picture, saying they will explain how the results make sense. When I sent a picture, they apologized, said they don't think it was worth testing her again and refunded my money. So, I was pretty impressed with their customer service, at least.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I don't know what I did with the paper, but Buff came back:
12%-25% Old English Sheepdog
12%-25% Chow Chow
12%-25% Shetland Sheepdog

We did the cheek swab from Wisdom Panel. When I questioned the results, they asked me to send a picture, saying they will explain how the results make sense. When I sent a picture, they apologized, said they don't think it was worth testing her again and refunded my money. So, I was pretty impressed with their customer service, at least.
Was that their way of saying your dog is too mixed up for a mixed breed test? :p

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We had our Brittany done and a family members golden.
While they say that they don't work on purebred dogs and they will show breeds they are "made" from it doesn't get much more laughable than these to.

I don't remember exactly what bryn had in him according to them but i know it had GSD and Corgi.

The Golden came back as Akita, Corgi, ACD and Mutt.

·
Registered
400 Posts
They say they don't recommend testing purebreds, because the test will be looking for multiple breeds and you'll probably get results you weren't looking for.
That may be for certain DNA tests, but Wisdom Panel has a few different tests out there... one for Purebreds, one for "Designer Dogs" and one for... uh... I guess "non-Designers" lol. I only know because I've been on their website looking for info-- I'm going to DNA test my girl Lela.

From reviews I've seen (and confirmed by Melaka) they offer a money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied.

It's so intriguing! :)

Jen

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@ willowy - I know right LOL

@thirdgenlxi - i could believe those results actually. he def looks like a rotti.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
you all probably know by now that those "doggy dna tests" are pretty much a scam. unfortunately many, including me, had the test done on their dog. (gullible is now tattooed on my forehead :redface: ) i thought it'd be fun for people who have had it run on their dog, to post the results.

i had the test run on my dog in 2008, when it was still somewhat new. it was the blood panel one, with the most breeds in it. to show how ridiculous the results are. rofl
Actually, even though when it comes to dogs with multiple breeds behind I think Wisdom Panel is at a severe disadvantage, I think Hershey could easily have the breeds seen in his results behind him.

I've been looking at mixes for years, and particularly spaniel mixes, and I'm surprised you would rule out Cavalier in Hershey . . . . or Dalmatian. Identifying recessive breed traits can easily be lost in a single generation (like coat colors or spots).

I'll probably end out posting a couple of posts to get all the photos in that I've collected, but to start:

A Dalmatian x Labrador - and the spots are now gone. A Flatcoat cross would render the same result.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/d/dalmador.htm

A Cavalier x Golden (mix) and the Cavalier size and many recognizable features are no longer visible.

http://www.timshellfarm.com/goldencavadoodle_max.html

If anybody is up on the Boxer x Corgi backcross project they'll remember these girls and the striking phenotype change here that occurs in a single generation - the mother is 1/2 Corgi, and the daughter is 1/4 Corgi and 3/4 Boxer.

http://www.steynmere.com/ARTICLES1.html

These are photos of a Tibbie girl in rescue in Georgia, and her two pups who don't look the tiniest bit Tibbie.

The way a dog looks even two generations from a breed can be incredibly different - by both coloring, traits, and size. Most times I woulnd't be declaring Wisdom Panel necessarily wrong just because you can't see what they are indicating . . . . although sometimes I do believe results are way out there.

SOB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts