Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Call me crazy, Xeph, but 25 puppies sold a year is a lot. Some litters can get 10+, but it's not common in most breeds. This leaves leeway for 2 litters for sure, and even possibly 3 if you have a breed that has small litters.

The type of breeder I look for is one that breeds very rarely, but has put the time in to produce, and give the best care for, the best dogs they can.

If there is someone who wants to run a large scale kennel like European GSD style, then they can get their business license. If your main form of income is your dog breeding program, it makes perfectly logical sense that you should have to treat it like a business and pay any fees associated.

I guess I may be missing something in this bill, but from my point of view I see nothing wrong with it.

--edit: ok yeah I just saw the part mentioning rescues. So this would include independent breed specific rescues not under the state umbrella? Yeah, I disagree with that part for sure.

"DATCP may also deny/refuse/renew/revoke an applicant if “they are not fit, qualified, or equipped to conduct the
activity”. Will the DATCP personnel charged with administering this bill also be licensed medical doctors? If they are
not, they are not qualified to deny a person based on their personal interpretation of physical fitness."

Whoever wrote this also has a serious misinterpretation of what the word "fit" means. It has absolutely nothing to do with physical fitness...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
25 pups may be a lot but it really does depend. I know quite a few collie people who could have that many in three litters in a year. And what about co-owned bitches? Do those litters count? Heck, that could be TWO litters of IWs or some of the other big hounds.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you breed 3 litters a year (which isn't some common with larger, reputable kennels) with GSDs you can hit that number EASILY. 6-8 puppies is usual, but there are a few people that have just whelped litters (GSD litters!) of 10+ x.x

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got real mixed emotions on this. On the one hand I don't like to see the government getting involved in every small aspect of our lives. But I have a real moral problem with the way some people treat domesticated animals. It's a very small percentage of people, but they create a huge problem.

The non-governmental solutions just aren't working. We've tried education and will keep trying harder. We've gotten celebrities from all walks of life to endorse the cause (heck, even our President has committed to adopt a dog!). The media is giving free publicity to the cause and in many cases even running "adopt this beautiful dog" ads for free. The internet has had adoption organizations easier to find than we ever imagined.

But it feels like we're not making any headway on the problem. I really wish we could do it without the heavy hand of the government, but I can't say I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i kinda agree w/ trumpet in that 25 pups a yr is quite alot....but, that being said, what happens if, say, you have 3 breedings in yr and normally those dogs bred have, say, 6-8 pups....but, you have 2 litters w/, say, 8....that gives you 16 pups right there....then, your last breeding, the bitch (who normally has 6-8 herself) throws you for a loop and has 12 pups....that puts you over by 2....are you supposed to cull that last litter?....

another thing that i heard on this yesterday was that they were including this into rescues, as well....so, if you breed and rescue, it all adds up....if you just rescue, and you adopt out more than the 25 in a yr, you're in violation.....that, i don't like....

but, i think it's better than some they have done...but i don't believe for a second that it will stop PM or BYB at all.....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i kinda agree w/ trumpet in that 25 pups a yr is quite alot....but, that being said, what happens if, say, you have 3 breedings in yr and normally those dogs bred have, say, 6-8 pups....but, you have 2 litters w/, say, 8....that gives you 16 pups right there....then, your last breeding, the bitch (who normally has 6-8 herself) throws you for a loop and has 12 pups....that puts you over by 2....are you supposed to cull that last litter?....
No, the fee for that range of dogs is $250 for 25-49 dogs a year. So if you happen to slip into 25 dogs, you lose 10$ per puppy you sold that year. I think that that is a small price to pay for being able to produce that kind of quantity.

If you are at 49 dogs, that's about $5.10 per dog you pay to have your license. Except for the possibility of this affecting breed specific rescues, I see absolutely no problem with it.

It's a way you can put some type of legal pressure on puppy mills and BYB's, without seriously impacting responsible breeders. A responsible breeder isn't going to worry about losing 10$ a puppy. When your average joe blow byb is confronted with a $250 fine, he might think twice.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The other problem I see is that when legislation like this has been introduced in the past, it's been revised downwards in subsequent years. Also, if you're commercial at 25 puppies, does thta mean your dogs must be maintained under USDA standards (ie, not in the house?)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
No, the fee for that range of dogs is $250 for 25-49 dogs a year. So if you happen to slip into 25 dogs, you lose 10$ per puppy you sold that year. I think that that is a small price to pay for being able to produce that kind of quantity.

If you are at 49 dogs, that's about $5.10 per dog you pay to have your license. Except for the possibility of this affecting breed specific rescues, I see absolutely no problem with it.

It's a way you can put some type of legal pressure on puppy mills and BYB's, without seriously impacting responsible breeders. A responsible breeder isn't going to worry about losing 10$ a puppy. When your average joe blow byb is confronted with a $250 fine, he might think twice.

The problem I see in fining responcible breeders though is that a lot of them arn't taking in big profits (if any) for breeding and an extra $250 can mean entering your dogs in 6-9 less shows that year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts