Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming. We've had temps in the low teens the past couple of nights already, and it'll only get worse of course.

So, everyone - what are you favorite/essential winter items? Dog coats you would recommend? Booties? Other things to keep the dogs warm out in the snow or while out for those freezing walks? List and/or review your favorite gear.

I'm particularly interested in how you guys keep your dogs warm when it's below freezing but feel free to talk about other stuff of course!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I tried booties, my dog hates them and pulls them off then chews them up, great !! I tried sweaters and coats; she hates them too !!! She chewed all the little balls off her Holiday sweater and she was wearing it!! I do have a rain coat too with a hood, worse, she hates everything !! It's been in the teens and twenties here too, I gave up on clothes!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Southern California.
Plenty of dog towels and that's it.
I do have a couple of sweaters made with reflective yarn but it's never cool enough to use them. Or so Ginger tells us. She won't move with it on.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried booties, my dog hates them and pulls them off then chews them up, great !! I tried sweaters and coats; she hates them too !!! She chewed all the little balls off her Holiday sweater and she was wearing it!! I do have a rain coat too with a hood, worse, she hates everything !! It's been in the teens and twenties here too, I gave up on clothes!!
Is she outside much in those cold temps? Does she shiver? My dog doesn't hate his clothes but he doesn't love them - but if he wants to go to the barn with me, he has to wear them! He had a sweater and a jacket on yesterday and was still shivering :/

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Southern California.
Plenty of dog towels and that's it.
I do have a couple of sweaters made with reflective yarn but it's never cool enough to use them. Or so Ginger tells us. She won't move with it on.
Lucky! I like the winter for about a week and then I'm over it, and I think the dogs feel the same (except for our Pyr)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I mean, Snowball goes outside and lays on the deck at -10C so...

Shorter (or no) walks on the extra cold days (-20C is about my limit).

If the dog isn't showing any signs of being cold (paw lifting, whining, shivering, not wanting to move) I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't really have much of anything. I use musher's secret on their paws when it's going to be really cold. But otherwise we just do it. When it's REALLY cold (e.g. getting below 0F), my dogs just go out to do their business and we play indoor fetch and do training inside. Both dogs have heavy coats so I don't bother with coats. I'm keeping an eye on the older dog though and if she starts to show signs of being cold outside, I'll be getting her a coat. I do at least have a cheap one that I bought ages ago when she had surgery in January (removed a cyst on her back) and used it to keep the area dry and warm while she healed.

For ME: essential are something like Yaktrax, so I don't fall on my behind when I'm out walking them (especially my younger, faster dog!).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that some dogs do fine with the cold (especially those with double coats and those intended to live in colder climates) but not all dogs handle the cold well. My Great Pyr INSISTS on sleeping outside during the winter (we have a room off of the house that is insulated but has no heat, so it's maybe a few degrees warmer than outside and no wind) no matter how cold it is. She loves the snow and the cold. My Akita mix does not like the cold though, and my poodle mix was shivering and lifting his paws the other day at the barn while wearing a sweater and a jacket and it was 29F out. But these are dogs that are fairly active throughout the year and I hate to coop them up just because it's cold. I myself go stir crazy and don't stay inside (unless we're talking negative degrees farenheit, then I suck it up), so might as well bring the dogs - just have to find ways to make the cold more tolerable for them. I'm looking for a better jacket for my small dog right now.

I don't really have much of anything. I use musher's secret on their paws when it's going to be really cold. But otherwise we just do it. When it's REALLY cold (e.g. getting below 0F), my dogs just go out to do their business and we play indoor fetch and do training inside. Both dogs have heavy coats so I don't bother with coats. I'm keeping an eye on the older dog though and if she starts to show signs of being cold outside, I'll be getting her a coat. I do at least have a cheap one that I bought ages ago when she had surgery in January (removed a cyst on her back) and used it to keep the area dry and warm while she healed.

For ME: essential are something like Yaktrax, so I don't fall on my behind when I'm out walking them (especially my younger, faster dog!).
Thanks for sharing the Yaktrax! I had never heard of that but they seem like they would be so helpful, especially for walking/hiking when it's icy out.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
My preference is StabilICErs over Yaktrax, a bit different design

https://www.stabilgear.com/

I don't really do anything special for winter. I consider winter here as moderate. We get temps down around 25-30F regularly but rarely much below 15F and many days warm above freezing so lasting snowfall and ice isn't usually bad. Biggest thing is avoiding road salt on their paws and I keep bottled water and towels in the car trunk to wash off paws (along with the obvious drinking water use and such) and dry quickly.

I like my biothane leashes that are totally waterproof so they won't soak up rain or snow and then partially freeze or get nasty with runoff and salt.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have you looked into Hurtta products? I have no first hand experience with their jackets (though one store nearby is supposed to start carrying their products, which is exciting), but I see a lot of dogs wearing them on Instagram and have heard good reviews.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My preference is StabilICErs over Yaktrax, a bit different design

https://www.stabilgear.com/

I don't really do anything special for winter. I consider winter here as moderate. We get temps down around 25-30F regularly but rarely much below 15F and many days warm above freezing so lasting snowfall and ice isn't usually bad. Biggest thing is avoiding road salt on their paws and I keep bottled water and towels in the car trunk to wash off paws (along with the obvious drinking water use and such) and dry quickly.

I like my biothane leashes that are totally waterproof so they won't soak up rain or snow and then partially freeze or get nasty with runoff and salt.
How are the Stabilicers on actual ice? My only complaint with the Yaktrax (the regular ones -- I don't use the spiked ones in my neighborhood) is they don't really do much on ice. They've been great on the heavy snow we get here though! But if something is better on ice too I'm totally willing to try them out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We use ICEtrekkers, Diamond Grip. they work well.
www.icetrekkers.com Available at MEC.

The guys put studs on their winter work boots. Going up
and down ladders are hard on the ice breakers.
The studs they use are carbide-tipped, screw in tire studs, 11mm.
Purchased from www.canadianchains.ca.

I have these studs on my winter mucks. I was having a tough
time putting the trekkers on. (old hands)
They don't interfere with snowshoes or with driving.
But once they are in, they stay in.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
How are the Stabilicers on actual ice? My only complaint with the Yaktrax (the regular ones -- I don't use the spiked ones in my neighborhood) is they don't really do much on ice. They've been great on the heavy snow we get here though! But if something is better on ice too I'm totally willing to try them out.
I only use them for ice. Deep snow (which for here is 6-12 inches), I just wear boots.
I find they grip ice well, I also bought pairs for my parents and my mom would put them over her regular work shoes to cross the icy parking lots to get into her office and said they saved her butt a number of times. Last winter was really mild here so neither of us had need of the ice cleats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts