Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Wilson is a JRT mix and is 2 years old. When we first got him I was living with my mom and we crate trained him, and he went in the crate with no problems. Then I got married and moved on my own and we adopted him. The first few months, he was fine in the crate as well. Went right in...no problems.

A few months ago he started really hating the crate. The crate was in the kitchen and when we put him in it at night he would body slam it/scratch/bark/whine all night..did this for weeks..as well as he started peeing in it. We thought the crate was too big, so we downsized and moved it to our bedroom. He still pees is it occasionally...and is fine when we're in the room. However, when I tell him to go into the crate when we leave...he runs away and I have to force him in there. He HATES it. The last few days when we have come home, he has figured out how to open the crate and get out...and destroy the apartment/pee on everything no matter how short we are gone. We fixed the crate so he cant get out...but now he shuffles himself in his crate across the apartment to the door...trying to get out.

Im pretty sure he has some separation anxiety...but why all the sudden? Why was he fine before? He isnt home alone that often (i work nights and my husband works days...someone is usually here with him to play/spend time with him)

·
Registered
192 Posts
it sounds like a SA issue since he destroys the apartment outside of the crate too.

there is a good sticky here and tons of resources on SA. Also, different things in a dogs life could trigger SA that you may not even be aware of, or it could have been a slowly reinforced behavior that you guys didn't catch soon enough.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
As far as I know, separation anxiety doesn't usually come on all of a sudden. It sounds like something may have frightened himself while he was in the crate, so now he is terrified to be in it. It could have been a loud noise or anything.

Also, since he started peeing in the crate and is terrified of it, it seems it really is no longer serving it's purpose (to keep him contained, safe, and to prevent accidents) .

Is there any way you could use a small room, like a laundry room or bathroom, or even the kitchen, and use a baby gate to block him in the room? Some dogs feel less anxious in a larger area.

And, make sure he gets plenty of exercise. If you can give him an extra wall before you have to leave him alone, that would be great. Exercise helps relieve stress, and he may sleep more while you're gone. And, try to leave him something to do, like a frozen stuffed Kong to work on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts