Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this and i was searching through google for some answers to my question and i came across this website hoping for some good advice.
My boyfriend and i recently brought a lovely puppy home and he is only 42 days. Today we gave him his first vaccine shot and i am a bit concerned because he has been shaking and cries any time he is held. I'm figuring he is a bit sore from the shot but what i am more concerned about is the shaking.
I contacted the vet and he told me it is normal to be sore but not normal to be shaking and i should give it some more time before contacting him again.
After all, he is only a very young pup with very sensitive and thin skin and it hurts to see him hurting like that. Has this happened to anybody before? If so, any recommandations on what to do to make him feel better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I have not had my rottweilers shake or even show soreness after their puppy vaccines. What was the vaccine and how much longer did the vet tell you to wait to contact them if the shaking doesn't subside?

Where did you get your puppy? How old was he when you brought him home?? Puppies really shouldn't be sent home before 8 weeks of age.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got him from a breeder when he was 37 days old! i told the breeder that it was too soon to take him home but he said that it was ok and that he has already gave away 2 puppies before i took mine.
He is a very healthy puppy and the vet assured that but he told me to wait for a few hours and check if he was still shaking and he still is ..its been over an hour or so and it did not happen immediately after the vaccine. It happened right after he ate. The shot was Vanguard DA2Pi, Vanguard CPV-Lepto.
Should i be concerned and take him to the vet?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
5 weeks old, huh? Yeah, that's way too young to be sent home with a new owner. That was very unethical of the breeder you got him from...no code of ethics Rottweiler breeder would allow a puppy to be sent home at that age. Your puppy has missed out on things like learning bite inhibition from it's mother and littermates. I normally would tell you to send the puppy back to the breeder but they would probably just turn around and sell it to some other person. When the breeder told you it was okay to take the puppy home even after you second guessed what they were doing...you should have turned and run from them. But what is done, is done.

Not to hijack the topic...I would be concerned too about the possible genetic health issues that reputable rottweiler breeders are aware of and do testing for. Sub Aortic Stenosis which is a heart/cardiac issue is a becoming a big problem in our breed. Eyes, hips, elbows, and hearts are the things reputable breeders screen for in their breeding programs. I would be willing to guess this person who let this puppy come into your home at 5 weeks old couldn't care less about health screenings or what the health on the inside of their dogs is.

Anyway, back to the shaking pup. Wait the couple of hours and if they shaking doesn't go away...take the puppy back to the vet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're absolutely right and i always had that at the back of my head. he shouldn't have been taken away from his mother so soon but i traveled for about an hour to get the puppy and i think it's a bit too late to take him back now. Like you said, they'll probably give it away the same day. All i can do is hope for him to be healthy and i will do whatever i can to help. I honestly didn't know when a puppy should be taken away from the mother. I should have known better.. Anyhow, he seems to be happy and he has socialized with a few bigger dogs (with the biting and all) and he seemed to be doing fine. I will make sure to tell the vet about testing him for the Sub Aortic Stenosis.
What do you suppose i do? Am i allowed to give him any milk? considering he hasn't had his fair share.
The shaking has gone away but he is now breathing heavily and he tends to be weak and very sensitive with a few twitches every now and then.
The vet actually pointed out that he is having some kind of hiccups that i've noticed but he didn't say anything about it..it happens usually after he eats.
Thanks a lot for your help..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sub arotic Stenosis (SAS) is something that your vet may not have the equipment or the know how to detect. Here in the states, we have veterinarian cardiologists screen our dogs with echocardiograms. Here's some info from the Rottweiler Health Foundation:

There are certain diagnostic tests that are necessary to accurately diagnose sub-aortic stenosis, to tell you how bad the problem is, what can be done about the problem, and what you can expect in the future for your pet. An echocardiogram (or heart ultrasound) is used to look within the heart, confirm the diagnosis, and to look for other problems within the heart that might confound therapy. The echocardiogram must also include Doppler ultrasound to give you complete information. The echocardiogram is the most useful diagnostic tool, and gives very specific information. X-rays (radiographs) are not very helpful with this disease, as most of the heart enlargement is within the heart, and X-rays do are not very helpful in making the diagnosis. If other defects are found by echocardiography, especially a concurrent leak past the mitral valve, then radiographs to look for evidence of fluid in the lungs may be essential. An electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) is very useful to check for rhythm disturbances or evidence of lack of oxygen to the heart muscle (but is not very useful otherwise), and may be repeated to assess response to certain medications
What are you feeding him?? Most likely he's weaned and past the need for milk substitutes. Do you wet his food if you're feeding kibble??

Can you let him play with small puppies about his size?? That may help him learn some bite inhibition and let him socialize with other dogs.

I have a 20 week old puppy and he gets hiccups. With the body jerks, he looks like he's heaving and getting ready to throw up. A lot of people have asked me if he's going to be sick when they see him with the hiccups. He would get them more often when he was younger and I don't see them that often now.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Is lepto common in your area? The lepto vaccine is a very harsh one on puppies, specially one at that age. It is not recommended to give it unless lepto is common in the area you live in. And I would never give it to a pup that age regardless. That vaccine could have caused his discomfort easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll research more into the SAS and try to find a vet that is qualified.
I wet his kibble till they're fluffy and edible because i noticed they're too hard for him chew. I don't know about finding pups his size..i'll have to look for somebody who has a small puppy...About the hiccups..that's exactly what Willie has..you would think he was gonna be sick.. is that normal though? he also twitching a lot and does funny things with his tongue when he's sleeping.. it looks cute but it worries me a lot.
Have you trained your dog? i've heard rottweilers are very smart and easily trained but i think its a bit too early to train a 40 day old dog..i am trying to potty train him though..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Is lepto common in your area? The lepto vaccine is a very harsh one on puppies, specially one at that age. It is not recommended to give it unless lepto is common in the area you live in. And I would never give it to a pup that age regardless. That vaccine could have caused his discomfort easily.
That's a really good point...my guys don't get the lepto vaccine. I follow the minimal vaccine protocol proposed by Dr. Dodds as recommended by my dogs' breeder. Lepto isn't on there. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/puppy-shots.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suppose Lepto is common..i don't have much experience with dogs so i wouldn't know much about the vaccines but that's what the vet gave him.. you think the shaking and the twitching is a result of the harsh vaccine?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The WCA has a similar recommendation, as some weims have vaccine sensitivity. Lepto has been a cause for concern and they don't recommend it unless the disease is common in the area.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I would suppose Lepto is common..i don't have much experience with dogs so i wouldn't know much about the vaccines but that's what the vet gave him.. you think the shaking and the twitching is a result of the harsh vaccine?
Yep, one of my weims years ago was vaccine sensitive as a puppy. Just the combination of vaccines could cause him problems. Shaking was one of them, I don't believe we ever gave him lepto but I have heard stories of the problems it can cause in young puppies.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Have you trained your dog? i've heard rottweilers are very smart and easily trained but i think its a bit too early to train a 40 day old dog..i am trying to potty train him though..
Yeah, I trained my dog. ;)

I show and compete with my dog Lars in Rally Obedience, Agility, and Traditional Obedience. My puppy is my new performance dog in the making.

They are very smart and easy to train...but they are not the breed for everyone because they can be strong willed and will walk all over an owner with a soft personality. Seek out puppy manners classes and enroll your puppy. Rottweilers need constant and consistent training well into adulthood and for you to always let them know the rules always apply.

Good luck with your pup. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, one of my weims years ago was vaccine sensitive as a puppy. Just the combination of vaccines could cause him problems. Shaking was one of them, I don't believe we ever gave him lepto but I have heard stories of the problems it can cause in young puppies.
Do you think i should consult my vet and talk to him about it? Will this pass or only lead to more things..?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I trained my dog. ;)

I show and compete with my dog Lars in Rally Obedience, Agility, and Traditional Obedience. My puppy is my new performance dog in the making.

They are very smart and easy to train...but they are not the breed for everyone because they can be strong willed and will walk all over an owner with a soft personality. Seek out puppy manners classes and enroll your puppy. Rottweilers need constant and consistent training well into adulthood and for you to always let them know the rules always apply.

Good luck with your pup. :)
That's awsome! i've been reading a lot about rottweilers and i have learned that they need constant exercise..Do you think he will learn to obey both my boyfriend and i or is it just ONE master like they say..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm very glad i signed up here..it's good to get to advice from experienced dog owners.. i definitely need it!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
How is your puppy doing now? I hope the shaking is over, that is not a common thing for a pup but... each one is different. I agree with Mrs.Boat that 5 weeks is far too early but like she said, done is done. I also agree with setting up play dates with other puppies of close to the same size but NOT before you puppy is properly vacinated. Not just the first shot. Parvo is something Rotties seem particularly suseptable and Parvo can kill, quickly.

Congrats on getting your first Rottweiler. I will warn that Rotties are like potato chips, you can't have just one. Maybe one at a time but it tends to start a life long love of the breed. I have had them for 34 years now and counting. I love them, and each time I think "my next dog will be something different" I go back to how perfect the Rottweiler is and give up that thought.

I too am glad you found this forum, there is a lot of information on here. I hope for now, you are feeding your pup a good quality food and take him back to the vet as needed.

On the whether or not they will obey both you and your boyfriend, that will be in how you train them. If you both work obedience, the pup will learn to listen to you both. If only one does and the other doesn't do much with the dog, it won't listen quite so well. ha ha The more time you spend with your pup training and socializing the better. Whether you chose to compete in obedience or not, training is a must in this breed. Socializing even more so.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Inga,
Thanks ..the puppy is doing great..the shaking only happened the day of the vaccination. he is a playful naughty little thing.
I give him good quality puppy kibble. I used to wet it for him because it was a bit too hard for him to chew but i stopped a few days ago and he's doing just fine. He's about 50 days old and he growls every time i play with him..i guess this is normal and he does it out of excitement. He's already potty trained but he still makes some mistakes every now and then. How old is your Inga ..it's a very cute picture you have on.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Hey Inga,
Thanks ..the puppy is doing great..the shaking only happened the day of the vaccination. he is a playful naughty little thing.
I give him good quality puppy kibble. I used to wet it for him because it was a bit too hard for him to chew but i stopped a few days ago and he's doing just fine. He's about 50 days old and he growls every time i play with him..i guess this is normal and he does it out of excitement. He's already potty trained but he still makes some mistakes every now and then. How old is your Inga ..it's a very cute picture you have on.
Thank you. Inga passed away awhile back, I just can't let go of her picture. I now have 2 males Carsten and Oliver and think about getting another female. I miss my girls. Inga was 2 weeks shy of 13 when I had to have her put to sleep. She was a most amazing dog, and loved my hundreds of people. My boys are great dogs too but they are not my Inga. My heart still aches for her. Amazing the hole they leave when they go.

I can't wait to see pictures of your pup. I hope you will share and I also hope you will hang around and share stories as Willie gets older. I am always happy to share my 34 years of owning and training this breed with newcomers to the breed.

I am happy that Willie is doing better now. Rotties are such smart dogs and I have had people tell me "you can't potty train a dog in a few weeks" but I have. Inga had 2 accidents ever in the house, one was right after I got her the second was a few years later when she was home alone and had explosive diarrhea, it wasn't her fault and the word gross doesn't do that experience justice.

Oliver took a bit longer, I think he is one knife short of a full set but he is the sweetest most loving dog you have ever met. He has gone through hell in his life but remains the happiest dog to ever have walked the planet. Carsten trained quickly as well despite it being late November in Wisconsin when I had to train him. The secret is always having them tethered to you or watching them every second when they are not in their crate and getting them out often. I go out with them and walk around saying "Go Potty, Go Potty" until they do, then they get a high value treat like a piece of boiled chicken. They learn very quickly. Be careful though, they learn naughty things quickly too. ha ha

Growling during play CAN be quite normal for a Rottie but make sure you are controlling the game. You end it when you want to and if things get too rough, it ends NOW and puppy gets put in his crate to calm down. Bite inhibition can be an issue for a pup taken from his litter so soon. Once he has ALL of his shots, I recommend getting him enrolled in a puppy kindergarten or beginner puppy class. I also recommend going further then one obedience class. Check into Kennel club’s in your area as they are often much cheaper then private places. You might be able to get some recommendations from your vet or other doggy friends. Now... Please, Please, help my puppy withdrawal and post some pictures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts