Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First of all, thank you for allowing me to join your group.
I have a 4 month old maltese. She is pee-pad "trained" and doing great for the last 2 months. She gets a "hip-hip hooray" everytime she uses the pad, loves the attention. Now, the problem is that if I leave her for even a minute to go upstairs, I get a spot on the carpet.. this is not a hiding thing, she does it once I've come back. I feel like she's punishing me for leaving her alone. I do not spank or rub her nose in it. I tell her that she's a bad girl and put her in the kitchen (her bedroom) with no toys. This doesn't seem to help at all. I would love some suggestions.

I would also like some advice on the problem of chewing, unfortunately, she loves carpet (and everything else too) commercial sprays that I've purchased seem to last less than 1 hour. I've resorted to putting red pepper flakes on the carpet where she likes to chew. this seems to be working, but I sure would love a clean carpet.

Thanks,
Pati

·
Registered
583 Posts
excelon50 ,
Hi Pati and welcome to DF.
Looks like it is time for crate training for pee and potty. Try posting in the training forum and you will get good advice from our members.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
So she doesn't pee while you're gone but does when you come back into the room? If that's the case, it could be excitement pee, i.e. she's so excited to see you again that she can't hold her pee. Our dog did this, too. We learned to be really low key around her and if a greeting was going to happen, to get her outside so that if she peed, it wouldn't matter. And we kept up her housetraining regime religiously.

Here's a link to a free online textbook on dog training - this pdf is for housetraining. Worked really well with our pup.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/Housetraining_0.pdf

Here's a link to the whole textbook on raising a puppy. Again, really good stuff here.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/behavior-problems

There's also a section on destructive chewing in the text. Our dog was a chewer, too. We got into a routine with her we called "Eyes on Dog." If our eyes could not be on her or if she wasn't tethered to us, she was crated. While we were watching her, we corrected any inappropriate chewing behavior and calmly gave her something she could chew, like a toy or treat. We praised and rewarded her for good behavior. We also used bitter apple spray to treat areas she liked to gnaw, like certain moldings and carpet. We sprayed a lot! It takes a lot of repetition and work over time to get some dogs to learn to leave things alone. Ours still wouldn't pass up a paper towel, so I began using them as the reward in training.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for replying to my question. I'll be reading the files that you sent. As for the question that one member asked about when she pees...no, it's not when I first come back into the room, it's a few minutes later that she sneaks to her hiding spot, so I don't think that it's excitement, but then again???

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I think you're right - doesn't sound like excitement pee. Is she on a regular schedule to eat, drink, and go out? At 4 months, she would still need to go out every 4 hours or so, minimum. We found having our pup on a schedule made her potty habits real predictable. If she woke up, ended a play or training session, or ate/drank, she went out and was praised/treated for pottying. All other times during training she was tethered to us, crated, or we were watching/interacting with her. We gave her few chances to have an accident and she learned going outside was great stuff. She's 6.5 and we still keep her on a schedule. The only times she has had an accident is if we weren't following it or if she was sick.

P.S. Dogs aren't willful - they don't really act out of spite, although I know it may seem like it. They just do what dogs do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts