Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 5 month old boxer and a 3 year old boxer. The 5 month old will go on the leash but I CANT get the 3 year old to go. He has always been let out in the back yard to go potty. Me and my wife will have the time to travel now and would like to take them with us, but without him not going on a leash makes it tough. He has been boarded before and would not go on the leash. How can I get him to go on the leash?? Currently I am taking him out on the leash where he used to going I am worried he is so stubborn he will hold it so long he will hurt him self. But I also read that nature will eventually take its coarse and he will go. Suggestions PLEASE??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I am curently walking him on a leash and he will not go also i am taking him outback on a leash and he will not go.

·
Registered
948 Posts
What I meant by "doesn't know what you want" is, his whole life he's had the free use of the back yard, and the leash was for going places. Now you're standing out there with him on the leash, he's probably kind of confused. Not likely to go potty in that frame of mind unless the need is really really urgent.

I never experienced that problem before, but I'd just load 'em up and go. Why not take a short day trip, see how he does in the car for a few hours, take a couple rest stops, see how it goes? I bet one successful on-leash potty experience is all he needs to get comfortable with it.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I have a 10 month old Rottie that has never peed or pooped whilst on a leash.
I walk her with my other dog that stops every 3 feet to urinate and poops during our walk.
The Rottie refuses to go whilst on a leash...
We could walk 10 miles and drink water and eat cookies and hamburgers..and Tacos. and that dog will wait untill we get home to go in the backyard.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Try a flexi or a long line. Dogs that have never had to potty on leash can be a little weirded out by it. My neighbors dogs will walk for ages and potty the second they are set free in the backyard. For them, it was a matter of time and practice.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Try a flexi or a long line. Dogs that have never had to potty on leash can be a little weirded out by it. My neighbors dogs will walk for ages and potty the second they are set free in the backyard. For them, it was a matter of time and practice.
just what I was going to suggest! We got Ginger the brittany when she was almost 5mos old. I don't know how often she had been attached to a leash but all the pups and adult dogs just went potty in the yard. When we brought her home, she didn't need to be on a leash because she was housebroken. She's 19mos now and still doesn't pee when we take her for walks. She'll poop but not pee so we get home, put her in the kennel and she pees. When we're gone for the day, we use a long line and no problems

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hello,
I have a 5 month old boxer and a 3 year old boxer. The 5 month old will go on the leash but I CANT get the 3 year old to go. He has always been let out in the back yard to go potty. Me and my wife will have the time to travel now and would like to take them with us, but without him not going on a leash makes it tough. He has been boarded before and would not go on the leash. How can I get him to go on the leash?? Currently I am taking him out on the leash where he used to going I am worried he is so stubborn he will hold it so long he will hurt him self. But I also read that nature will eventually take its coarse and he will go. Suggestions PLEASE??
Patience, what goes in must come out, he will not hurt himself.. Wait him out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts