Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two male shepherd/lab puppies (litter mates), just over 6 months old.
The vet advised we get them neutered around 6 months so they are going in at the end of the week.

One of the puppies has a very mature bark, while the other's is still puppy-like (though sometimes it does sound mature).
Will neutering prevent the immature bark from becoming permanently deeper?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
No, it shouldn't affect the bark from developing. My dog was neutered at 8 weeks old (rescue) and his voice is thunderous.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
And my dog is intact at 15 months and still barks like a puppy 90% of the time.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Heh. No. It's just a dog thing, I think, and a bit of what they want/what's going on in their head..

I have 3 intact males. One is almost 7, one is 4 and a half, and the other is just about a year.

The 7 year old always sounds like a dog. The 4 and a half year old yips more than barks. The year old has a nice thunderous ROAR of a woof when he's serious, but quite often whines and yips merrily along.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My dog was neutered at 7.5 wks old (shelter dog), and granted he's a small dog so he doesn't have a super deep echoey bark, but he isn't yippy at all. He definitely barks deeper than he did as a pup. Then it was just that ear piercing shrieky bark that sent a spike through my brain and brought me to tears more than once (he would bark nonstop when we drove anywhere. it was hell). Now he woofs like a big boy.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Then it was just that ear piercing shrieky bark that sent a spike through my brain and brought me to tears more than once (he would bark nonstop when we drove anywhere. it was hell). Now he woofs like a big boy.
Can he give Watson lessons? Plz?

I know Watson has a big boy bark, but he only uses it when he's alerting to something, or when trying to get another dog to play. Anytime he's barking from excitement, which is 90% of his barking, it's the most ear piercing shriek ever. I hate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the answers guys. Makes me feel better about neutering him.
By the way, two dogs with cones on is a riot to watch.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Remmy is almost six and I have never heard him give a "regular" type bark. The few times he does make a noise, it is more of a high pitched sort of cross between a yelp and a shriek. Thank goodness he does not do it very often, he used to do it mostly at the agility trials if he was left while I walked a course but has been getting a little better but I always know it is him. He is not neutered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts