Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm transferring to a new college this fall and i am so upset over leaving my puppy dog. She's a pekingese and she's 2 years old. My sister, father and mother all love her...originally my sister bought her so she's kind of the lead master of her lol but she loves me so much too. She loves all of us. I was wondering how dogs memories are...I heard they will remember you no matter what.

Is this true? I'll be like 6 hours away and I'm planning to visit at least every month or every 2 months. When I come visit home, will she remember me and be happy? I even thought of backing out from going away to college just because of my dog lol but i know that's really very silly. She will still have 3 people (mom, dad, sister) at home to look after and to love her. She is in good hands, but i'm still worried that she won't remember lol.

I'll appreciate any answers. :D

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think it's true. My brother and I both live on our own now, and my parents' dog is always noticeably happy when we come home. It's been years since I live at home and he still gets SO EXCITED when he sees me. Don't worry, your pup will still love you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's true. My brother and I both live on our own now, and my parents' dog is always noticeably happy when we come home. It's been years since I live at home and he still gets SO EXCITED when he sees me. Don't worry, your pup will still love you!
Oh bless you :) your response has made me a little more comfortable. I know dogs are very emotional and intelligent; but as a dog lover I still worry over this lol. I'll make sure to bring her presents when i visit. :D

Is that your parents' dog in your sig? So adorable :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
No, that's my own dog! But thanks -- yours is cute too!

Here, I'll post a pic of my parents' dog:
Untitled by Hamandeggs23, on Flickr

I always find myself buying him presents when I'm home. Unlike my dog, he doesn't immediately tear stuffies to bits so it's fun to buy him cute toys. Last time I got him a stuffed armadillo, which I hear he greatly enjoys.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My two are Pekingese and they get so sad and pouty if I am gone a whole day :( I am sure she will remember you and will always be very happy to see you when you come home. My former Pekingese Princess (RIP) always remembered my sister and brothers when they would come and visit after I moved away with her.Your Pekingese is beautiful!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww it's so cute i love it. And thanks.

Dogs usually love it when they have new toys. I buy my puppy a new toy every two weeks and she will go crazy, running around the house. But she gets tired of them after two days. :D

I hope all the pet owners on this forum can spend time with their pets for long long years. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My two are Pekingese and they get so sad and pouty if I am gone a whole day :( I am sure she will remember you and will always be very happy to see you when you come home. My former Pekingese Princess (RIP) always remembered my sister and brothers when they would come and visit after I moved away with her.Your Pekingese is beautiful!!
Aww sorry to hear about your former princess. I'm sure it must've been very difficult. How long did she live? I feel like pekingese are such a special breed; i love their small faces and tiny noses. :)

Thank you, the pictures on your signature are just adorable. <3

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
She'll remember you and be thrilled to see you, but she will be fine. I had to leave my first dog (as an adult) with my parents for one year of college and he never missed a beat. If you are her primary caretaker, you might let others in the household start taking over those responsibilities before you leave so the transition won't be a big deal

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you! Princess was 17 years old when she passed away. I love Pekingese too! They are adorable in my opinion and I just LOVE their personalities.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She'll remember you and be thrilled to see you, but she will be fine. I had to leave my first dog (as an adult) with my parents for one year of college and he never missed a beat. If you are her primary caretaker, you might let others in the household start taking over those responsibilities before you leave so the transition won't be a big deal
Thanks a lot for your answer. Asking other pet owners has definitely helped relax and calm a little bit. My dog will be in great hands so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you! Princess was 17 years old when she passed away. I love Pekingese too! They are adorable in my opinion and I just LOVE their personalities.
That's really great; I heard Pekingese live 10-15 years so that is pretty cool that you spent lots of years with her. I hope my princess lives that long. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm away at university during the school year and only see my dogs every couple months. They're happy with all visitors, but I think they recognize me when I come home. Plus, it makes the summer all the nicer because I get to be with them. They are definitely less dependent on me than they used to be when I was at home all the time (ask my mum, not me, to take them out in the morning), but that's okay.

Hopefully I'll be able to take SiSi with me to university next year if I can get a dog-friendly apartment (and I can get my mom to let her go!).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
My old dog loved a friend of my husband, J. J moved 1,000 miles away and we didn't see him for 5 years. He came back to visit for Christmas and stopped by our house and after 5 years, Muggsy was thrilled to see him.

Your dog will remember you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm away at university during the school year and only see my dogs every couple months. They're happy with all visitors, but I think they recognize me when I come home. Plus, it makes the summer all the nicer because I get to be with them. They are definitely less dependent on me than they used to be when I was at home all the time (ask my mum, not me, to take them out in the morning), but that's okay.

Hopefully I'll be able to take SiSi with me to university next year if I can get a dog-friendly apartment (and I can get my mom to let her go!).

aww, good luck to you. I hope it works out for the best. Even if you have to separate, I'm sure your mom will do a good job looking after. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My old dog loved a friend of my husband, J. J moved 1,000 miles away and we didn't see him for 5 years. He came back to visit for Christmas and stopped by our house and after 5 years, Muggsy was thrilled to see him.

Your dog will remember you.
wow 5 years. Compared to that, my situation is practically nothing...as I plan to visit home at least every 2 months. Thanks a lot, your response has made me feel more comfortable. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes she'll remember you! My pup is only 3months and whenever I come back from being away for Weeks she jumps and gives me kisses. Your dog won't forget you! Don't even worry about it! Every time you come home you'll just be attaked with love!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes she'll remember you! My pup is only 3months and whenever I come back from being away for Weeks she jumps and gives me kisses. Your dog won't forget you! Don't even worry about it! Every time you come home you'll just be attaked with love!
Thanks so much. This thread has really made me comfortable, i'm so glad i made it. I leave in exactly a month....im sad but im sure i will get used to it.

Is that your little one? Sooo adoraabble. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts