Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will my dog's ears pop up? **edited w/ more pics**

Here are some pics of my 12 week old puppy. The shelter said he's a lab/shepherd mix. Right now his ears are floppy. But I've seen pictures of shepherds (i.e. German Shepherds) with ears that are erect. However, the pictures of German Shepherd puppies showed that their ears were floppy when they were young, but then popped up as they grew older.

Will his ears stay floppy or will they pop up as he grows?

Wow, you guys are SO nice!! Here are a couple more pics...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I think they will stay down as well. It is hard to say for sure but he does have Lab looking ears. Soooooo cute. :)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Also am going to agree that they will stay down. German shepherd puppy ears look different, not as broad and rounded as a lab's. You have an adorable puppy, though! I love his coloring.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
how old is the puppy? the general rule of thumb is, If they are not standing even momentarily by 5 months old, they never will.

Also he is not a labrador/ german shepherd mix because he has tan points and tan points are a reccessive trait which means both parents had to pass the gene on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also he is not a labrador/ german shepherd mix because he has tan points and tan points are a reccessive trait which means both parents had to pass the gene on.
If he's not lab/shepherd what kind of dog do you think he is?

I was somewhat skeptical when the shelter told us he was lab/shepherd. Looks to me like he has some dobie or rott in him. But I dunno...

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
he could be Lab/Dobe X German Shepherd that is a good possability. he also has the large houdish ears like a dobe

·
Registered
472 Posts
She looks like a Doberman or Rottweiler mix, not at all like a Shepherd, so probably not. Floppy ears are cute!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I see Dobie or Rottie, with a little lab thrown in (maybe). Whatever he is, I too think his ears will stay down. He is so very cute at any rate! Love black and tan dogs...wonder why ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Some dogs actually look rather awkward, example my min-schnauzers both have cropped ears and my friend two dogs MS, both there ears are natural, and they when they stand up they look like a cross between rabbit and dog:D I feel your dog will look better if the ears stay down. Not that I could not love a rabbit dog:)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
That second pic REALLY looks dobie. Enough so that I'd be calling him a Rotti/Dobie mix. He's too cute for words!

And down. :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Mismarked Labs can be black and tan. It's not that difficult for a recessive trait to hide in generations of dogs ad then suddenly crop up unepectedly. If it were a dominant trait then that would be unlikely, but not impossible. There's whole websites devoted to mismarked labs, just google it; there's some really neat unexpected colors that can come up certain breeds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts