Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try leaving the crate door open tonight with bedroom door closed (crate next to bed) to see if he won't bark and wake us up @ 4:45 am each morning.

We go to bed at 9 each night so he is in there for 7.5 hours each night with out a peep. I have tried covering the crate completely, ignoring him for 1.5 hours at least with no stopping.

I do not believe he has to go pee, possibly just wants out as he's had his rest. He comes out with so much energy it's crazy!! sometimes I do not feed right away, he will go back to sleep after awhile even if he hasn't eaten

I have brought him out @ 5am, does go pee a little then I go back to lay down and he just sleep next to bed, but not in crate until I get up.

I am wondering if I try the door open all night and it doesn't work, will i have trouble closing the door of the crate again the next night and ruin his nice 7.5 hours of peace and quiet?

I would like him to stay in crate so he and the cats, 4 of them, (cat door in bedroom door) don't start playing or what have you in the middle of the night, which I do not think would happen most nights, but you never know. But if we can sleep even an extra hour each day, then willing to take that risk.

I really would like to sleep to 6 if I can, I am like a zombie every day now.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Why would you think that leaving the crate door open will stop him from waking you up at 4:45 am? If 4:45 is the time he naturally wakes up, he probably still will, only, since the door is open, he will probably just wander around. He could do a little pee somewhere, or get into something he shouldn't. So, yes, maybe he won't bark, but he will probably get up and wander. Is that ok with you?

It might help to tire him out more than normal before you go to bed, so he may sleep longer. Maybe you could add an extra walk about 30 minutes to an hour before bed, or you could add an extra training session, because training will tire him out, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he is sleeping after dinner, I will walk around (he follows me) or go play with him, or just wake him up so his sleep is interrupted. I have been told to make sure he is tired when going to bed at night. When I take him out before bed, we walk up the street and RUN back! He loves to run. I can tell when he is tired too, as he will walk right into crate where as some nights it takes more time to get him in there, with a long time being 30 seconds.

I will have to notice if the nights he is a bit slow getting into crate if was exercised enough that day or not.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts