Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dog who vomits whenever her stomach is empty. I cannot free-feed, so I have to feed her 3 x a day. She still sometimes gets sick in the night or first thing in the morning before being fed. I was curious as to if a higher protein or a higher fat (or both) of dogfood will stay in her stomach longer?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Purina Dog Chow
I would definetly try a better quality food. Foods without corn, by-products, soy, etc... Some examples are Wellness/CORE, Natural Balance, Taste of the Wild, Innova/EVO, Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Orijen

Between meals I give Bailey plain non-fat yogurt and frozen carrots.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I tried to feed Science Diet for a while, and it has a lot of corn as does Dog Chow. My dog was experiencing the same problem as yours. I switched her to a better food and the vomiting stopped!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually used to feed higher-end foods. We spent over 6 months trying to figure out what was causing the diarrhea in my dogs. Numerous tests at the vet and dewormings/coccidia/giardia treatments before they suggested switching foods. So we started switching foods (slowly) and keeping them on one brand for about a month before moving on to another. By accident, we discovered that this (dog chow) is what stopped the diarrhea! Only conclusion we came to was that these foods (nutro, blue buffalo, wellness, and I can't remember what all we tried) are just too rich. They are thriving on the dog chow. I had to throw YEARS of researching dog nutrition out the window! I now follow the "if it works for your dog, feed it" philosophy. This one dog in particular has had this vomiting thing on all the foods. We know the cause: empty stomach. So back to my original question:

Would a higher protein/fat content stay in the stomach longer?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i know in people protein is supposed to make you feel full longer, so maybe it would work for dogs. sorry i don't know for sure, but it is possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I highly reccomend you try a kibble called California natural! I have NEVER heard of a dog who did poorly on it. It's a bland food, just meat meal(the specific meat depends on the flavor),rice, sunflower oil and vit/min supplement. Just get off the Purina dog chow, the ingredients are horrific!, and no i'm not exaggerating lol.

In response to your question...hmm, I'm honestly at a loss. Perhaps you can give him a tiny piece of bully stick before going to bed. Thats probably something you should ask a holistic vet about(not normal vets because they will prescribe you crap like science diet)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Usually animal protein is digested faster, carbs and grains are digested slower. But that doesn't mean you need to fill your dog with carbs and grains. I have to agree that dog chow is pretty low grade. You might want to switch to a better food, then maybe feed a snack before bed. You didn't mention this, but how old is the dog and how much are you feeding?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts