Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a rescued dane. As much as I want a puppy, I think it will be good for 2 reasons. First, of course, I am rescuing one, and second is that the dog will be alone for an easy 9 hours, and I think puppies can’t handle that.

However, I live in a New York City 1 bedroom apartment. It’s not tiny, but it’s still small… about a 500 square feet 1 bedroom. I hear that apartments are actually OK for Great Danes as long as you give them two good lengthy walks a day, since they tend to be couch potatoes. I can definitely commit to the long walks, but I am concerned about the time the dog will be alone in my apartment. The windows only look out to another building 10 feet away, so there will be no stimuli around. I worry that the dog will get bored and have problems with that and/or start tearing the place up.

Anybody have a situation like this? Do you guys think the 9 hours of solitude is a big enough problem that I should not get a great dane? What about any other dog?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally think that 9 hours is a long time for any breed of dog. Is there a chance that you could get a dog walker to at least come in to break up the time? I have greyhounds and one of them could possibly wait for 9 hours... it really isn't the stimuli or getting bored part as much as it is the going to the bathroom part that would be hard. Bigger dogs do sleep for the majority of the day and you can keep them a little occupied with things such as kongs filled with peanut butter.

What you also have to watch for is that if this is to be an only dog have you talked to the rescue about trialing a dog for a week or maybe doing foster with intent so that you get a good match?

Just a few things that jumped to my mind...

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Adult Danes typically do well in apartments. A young adult should have someplace to occasionally blow out the cobwebs and get some wind in his nostrils. At least a few times a week. A Yorkie can get his exercise wearing a track in the carpet around the dining room table. A Dane needs acres to move at speed. They are not "run all day" dogs, like Border Collies, but they can put on truly impressive bursts of speed.

9 hours is a long time to go without a pee break, though. If you're in Manhattan, professional dog walkers are a ubiquitous fact of life.

The other thing is that Danes are not normally quick to adjust to new situations. Each dog is an individual (& blah blah blah) but Danes are not like Labs. You should count on the new dog needing a considerable period of TLC to make the adjustment. Vigorous exercise can help with that.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I have owned Danes and here's my take... Danes do well in apartments IF you can put the time into walking them at lest a mile 2 times a day... My dane was never a feisty fellow BUT something to consider with danes is coat color. I jhave read a few books stating that color plays a big part in Dane temperement (and I have seen this prove true with several danes I've worked with professionally).

Your fawn and brindle tend to be the most active because those were the ones most often bred and used in hunting. Your blacks and blues tend to be more assertive/aggerssive/sharp because those were the ones used and bred most in police and military work. Your harlequin and mantle were used most often for guarding wide open estates so they are the largest of the colors and the most phlegmatic of the breed. My dane was mantle (which is a harlequin derivitave) Merle isn't an accepted color group so there really isn't much recognition or acknolwedgement when talking about colors and temperament since merle is relatively a newer color.

My dane would be fine alone for 9+ hours but then again we never had less than 4 dogs while he was alive. I always leave the TV on for my pups (animal planet usually to help desensatize to barking dogs usually :) ) for mental stimulation and my dad actually once a long time ago sent me a video designed solely for entertaining your dog or your cat... pictures of birds at a feeder or squirrels on a tree with chirping and other outside noises... it really kept the cat entertained. The dog wondered where it was all comming from...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a little hesitant to get a daily dog walker for the sake of security and cost too.

That's one thing I have considered... having more than 1 dog would take care of him/her being so alone for the 9 hours.

Anyway, chances are I will most likely hold off since I don't really like the idea of raising a god in the city. I feel so bad that dogs here don't even know to pee on grass, and just go where they please on the sidewalk or street (my old dog knew when i lived in a house with my parents). Not only that, then the pee moves on the conrete and often onto their feet. So gross!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I am a little hesitant to get a daily dog walker for the sake of security and cost too.
I have no idea what the price range is, but security shouldn't be too great a concern. I used to be a doorman in a high-end building (lots of tenant's names you would recognize) and the dog walkers they used could pass the background check Secret Service agents undergo. No doubt, the ones with the best references get the best money.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

That's one thing I have considered... having more than 1 dog would take care of him/her being so alone for the 9 hours.

Anyway, chances are I will most likely hold off since I don't really like the idea of raising a god in the city. I feel so bad that dogs here don't even know to pee on grass, and just go where they please on the sidewalk or street (my old dog knew when i lived in a house with my parents). Not only that, then the pee moves on the conrete and often onto their feet. So gross!
I think holding off is a good idea, leaving any strange dog alone in an apartment for 9 hrs could be disastrous. You could get home and have no furniture or walls left. It's called the land of "Murphy's Law"

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Dane was very low maintenance. 9 hours is a long time, I agree, but my experience was a great one. Wonderful breed and very gentle. Unfortunately the average life span is only about 7 years and losing her killed me. I won't try the breed again because of the pain ahead in losing them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If nine hours alone is too much for one dog, it is twice as bad for two dogs.

Warning Meanie Time
If you do not want your feelings hurt or you think it is your God-given right to own a dog, please do not read beyond this point.

Your schedule is not ideal for a dog. It isn't a dig on you, it is a fact. I really think you should wait until your living situation allows more time for a dog. This is just my opinion, based on my observations.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Once again, apparently I should not own dogs nor should many people. :rolleyes:

It's a fact that most dog owners do work for a living. My dogs are left 8 1/2 hours 3 times a week with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,389 Posts
Once again, apparently I should not own dogs nor should many people.

It's a fact that most dog owners do work for a living. My dogs are left 8 1/2 hours 3 times a week with no problems.
Same here, except it's every day. Kuma's fine, happy, and very well adjusted. Having a full time job shouldn't exclude people from dog ownership.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have been saying it is my opinion that certain situations are not ideal for dogs based on my observations. Some of you are awfully defensive about this. If your are fine then ignore my rants.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have been saying it is my opinion that certain situations are not ideal for dogs based on my observations. Some of you are awfully defensive about this. If your are fine then ignore my rants.
How many people are 'ideal owners' for their dogs? Not many... In a perfect world we'd all have acreage and stay at home with our dogs.

Your rants seem very judgmental and basically stating many people on this forum are being selfish in having their dogs. That's why I have a problem with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,389 Posts
How many people are 'ideal owners' for their dogs? Not many... In a perfect world we'd all have acreage and stay at home with our dogs.

Your rants seem very judgmental and basically stating many people on this forum are being selfish in having their dogs. That's why I have a problem with it.
Agreed. Plus, a lot of people come here looking for advice before getting a dog, and I don't want to see a potentially great dog owner be discouraged from getting a dog just becuase they have to work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are different opinions on any given subject. If we want to do a service to new dog owners isn't fair that they hear different sides of issues. Then they weigh everyhting and come up with their own decision. Yes, I admit I am judgmental.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You may get further on here if every single post wasn't pointing to how everyone is doing something wrong. Every thread you make seems to be doing just that.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I've had some of the highest energy dogs there are (Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, and German Shepherd Dog) and all of them have been just peachy in a crate for 8-9 hours.

Of course, I also do a lot of running and playing with them. I run 6 miles a day at the moment, and Kobe (Malamute) is loose in the house all day. Previously when I had all 3 dogs, I ran 8 miles a day and both were crated all day.

A great dane doesn't have even 1/10th of that energy. So, they should be fine in an apartment during the day. Just keep in mind that at the beginning, it takes a month or so to crate train the dog. So expect a lot of crying and angry neighbors.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are many people that work all day, have a dog, and everything is fine.
I will admit to that. But, shelters are over-flowing with dogs that are there because folks did not have enough time. I might be grumpy, but some here do make everything seem too rosey.

Of course, I also do a lot of running and playing with them. I run 6 miles a day at the moment, and Kobe (Malamute) is loose in the house all day. Previously when I had all 3 dogs, I ran 8 miles a day and both were crated all day.
See, you are responsible. You work and put an extra effort into your dogs. There are those that work all day and then the last thing they want to do is be bothered by a dog. Or, they will put that extra time in for a few weeks or even months. Then it gets old or something else comes up. Then the dog ends up at the pound.

Will you admit that working all day and taking care of your dogs is no easy task?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Ive had danes 20 years showed them almost 15.Apartments are fine for most danes with proper owners.I agree 9 hours is a long time for any breed any age.Im in Ky and we have the walkers etc...and dog daycares thats cheap.Also depending on danes temperament will determine how bored they get.Id never crate any breed that long and for safety reasons its not safe to leave an unknown dog loose for that long.If you could get someone to come by a couple times a day itd work I think also danes are people dogs they hate being alone.
Lisa

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
There are many people that work all day, have a dog, and everything is fine.
I will admit to that. But, shelters are over-flowing with dogs that are there because folks did not have enough time. I might be grumpy, but some here do make everything seem too rosey.

See, you are responsible. You work and put an extra effort into your dogs. There are those that work all day and then the last thing they want to do is be bothered by a dog. Or, they will put that extra time in for a few weeks or even months. Then it gets old or something else comes up. Then the dog ends up at the pound.

Will you admit that working all day and taking care of your dogs is no easy task?
No, not really. It's pretty easy to do. I have a lot of fun doing it.

The OP was unconcerned about the exercise requirements. He said that he was fine doing two long walks a day (plenty for a Great Dane) and has done his research on the breed. I have no reason to assume he's not responsible.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.